Assistant professor position in Prokaryotic Industrial Microbiology: KTH, Sweden
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as in architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Prokaryotic Industrial Microbiology
- Prokaryotic industrial microbiology is the understanding and improvement of the molecular- and metabolic processes underlying the use of prokaryotic microorganisms for industrial production of fuels, (fine) chemicals and pharmaceuticals.
- This includes expansion of the substrate- and product ranges as well as increased understanding of the performance of industrially relevant prokaryotes with the use of metabolic engineering, fermentation technology and quantitative physiology.
- The research field also includes the exploration of the natural biodiversity and developing new applications of currently unexplored microorganisms for pure-culture based industrial biotechnology.
- Set-up and management of an independent research team on prokaryotic industrial microbiology that is able to complement and collaborate with the ongoing activities within the Industrial Biotechnology Division at the School of Biotechnology at KTH Royal Institute of Technology. This includes the initiation of new research projects, acquisition of funding, setting up collaborations, training and coaching of young researchers at MSc, PhD and post-doc level, financial management and maintaining a safe, stimulating and healthy work environment.
- Supervision and teaching, including: Coordination, teaching and continued development of MSc level courses within the Biotechnology program at KTH. Additional involvement in teaching of courses at the BSc level and supervision of MSc students during their thesis projects.
- Coordination of a molecular biology infrastructure and knowledge base used by the bioprocess-oriented researchers of the Industrial Biotechnology division and contribute to the maintenance and coordination of the fermentation- and process technology infrastructure of the Industrial Biotechnology Division.
- Representation of KTH, the School of Biotechnology, the Division of Biotechnology and/or your research presentation for a general audience and in (inter)national networking communities.
- The assistant professor will be given opportunity to develop their independence as researcher and gain accreditation that may allow them to take other teaching positions with higher eligibility requirements. Following application, the assistant professor shall be assessed for promotion to associate professor.
- The appointment is for an indefinite term, but no more than four years, and may be extended if, due to the teacher’s absence due to sick leave, parental leave or other special grounds, more time is required to reach the objectives of the appointment. However, the total appointment period may not exceed six years. The appointment is part of the Tenure Track system at KTH and the assistant professor may apply for promotion to tenured associate professor.
Those qualified for employment are individuals who have been awarded a PhD or have attained equivalent research competence. Preference should be given to those who were awarded a PhD or attained equivalent competence no more than seven years prior to the expiry of the application period.