Our awards recognize that scientific excellence can be found across our diverse community and at all stages of a scientific career.
FEMS presents seven awards:
- FEMS-Lwoff Award for Achievements in Microbiology – Launched in 2000, the FEMS-Lwoff award rewards those that create high quality knowledge that helps to solve today’s societal problems around microbiology. It was named in honour of the 1st FEMS President (1974-1976), Professor André M. Lwoff.
- FEMS-ASM Mäkelä-Cassell Award – The FEMS-ASM Award supports the reciprocal exchange of one member from each organization to present their research at the other organization’s main conference.
- FEMS-ESCMID Award – Out of the FEMS Research and Training Grantees, the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID) annually selects one grantee for an additional award of € 1000, the FEMS-ESCMID Awardee.
- FEMS-Jensen Award – The FEMS-Jensen Award was established to support Early Career Scientists and microbiologists in particular.
- FEMS Special Merit – The FEMS Special Merit Award was initiated in 2003 to reward those who have made special contributions to further the objectives of FEMS. The first award was presented at the 1st FEMS Congress in 2003.
- FEMS Science Communication Award – Stimulating and awarding impactful microbiology communication campaigns.
- FEMS Early Career Microbiologist Award – Promoting and supporting excellent science.
The FEMS Journals present several awards each year: