Five research positions in Environmental Microbiology: Belgium
Five research positions are open at KU Leuven, Belgium, in the Environmental Microbiology group of Prof. Dirk Springael of the Division of Soil and Water Management, starting from between June – October 2022 (or earlier). The first three ones are 4-years PhD positions. The fourth one can be filled in by either a 4-years PhD or a 3-years post-doc while the fifth one relates to a 3-years post-doc position. Note that the post-doc positions are only for researchers that do not have a Belgian nationality, that did not attain their PhD at a Belgian institute and that did not stay for a period of more than 24 months in the period before the start of the position in Belgium. Applicants should indicate for which position they are applying and can apply for more than one position.
- Position 1: PhD position: Study of the biology of the insertion sequence element IS1071 and of its ability to recruit and spread adaptive traits in microbial communities.
- Position 2: PhD position: World-wide diversity of genotypes determining the bacterial catabolism of a pesticide: does it tell us something about the origin, evolution and distribution of catabolic gene clusters.
- Position 3: PhD position: Putting ecological invasion theories to the test: improving bioaugmentation of drinking water treatment systems for organic micropollutant removal.
- Position 4: PhD position or post-doc position: Improving biodegradation of an organic micropollutant mixture in dilute freshwaters by means of mixed substrate utilization.
- Position 5: Post-doc position: Deciphering the role of insertion elements in community adaptation to anthropogenic environmental changes (Bilateral Flanders-China FWO project).
Deadline for applications: 21st February 2022