Molecular Biologist / Geneticist (Post-doc position): Germany
The position is to be filled at IUF as of October 1st, 2018
The project is focused on the potential of CRISPR/Cas9 in:
- correcting genetic human diseases, susceptibilities toward environmental toxical
- generating mutations/SPP’s on different cell types in order to recapitulate human diseases/susceptibilities
- The project aims to address current bottlenecks in the methodology for applying the system to a wide range of disorders. The candidate will work on improving various aspects of existing techniques as well as developing novel approaches for precise gene editing.
- We seek a highly motivated candidate (f/m) with a solid background in genetics and molecular biology.
- Expertise in standard molecular biology techniques and cell culture is critical, and experience with plasmid cloning, gene editing and AAV vector production.
- The candidate is required to have strong skills in English and German and proven abilities to publish at a high international level with at least one first author publication.
- Motivation to work independently and be responsible for the daily management of his/her research project in coordination with other members of the group is expected.
- The candidate will also be actively involved in the training and co-supervision of other group members and students.
- The individual should apply their significant expertise in molecular biology based techniques, along with their understanding such as plasmid cloning, gene editing, AAV vector production, electroporation, qPCR, RT-PCR, nucleic acid extraction and cloning, gel electrophoresis, macromolecule blotting and probing and mouse handling is highly desirable.
- Participate in the development and qualification of assays. Independently analyze data and provide conclusions. Critically evaluate own and others results and offer insights based on process and product understanding to help solve problems.
- Contribute to patents, regulatory documents or manuscript as required.
- Read scientific and technical literature in order to bring new and improved procedures to the laboratory, and to broaden understanding of disciplines outside area of training. Utilizes all appropriate experimental design methods needed for work in area of specialization. Conduct literature searches and apply knowledge to the approaches taken.
- Participate in scientific discussion with colleagues through informal and formal scientific seminars and meetings.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, or related field.
- Minimum 3 years of experience with advanced molecular cloning and gene expression analysis. Genome engineering and gene editing experience using CRISPR or other tools is highly preferred.
- In depth understanding and demonstrated competency in complex DNA cloning using restriction digestion and ligation, Gibson assembly, overlapping PCR assembly, Gateway cloning etc.
- Expertise in the in-depth analysis of gene expression and genome editing using various molecular and cell biology analysis methods such as quantitative PCR and RT-PCR, Next generation sequencing, Southern, Northern, and Western blotting, flow cytometry, and fluorescence microscopy.
- Experience with complicated sequence analysis using bioinformatics and genomics tools such as Vector NTI, CLC, ApE, NCBI Blast, and/or other web-based databases and tools.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required (English and German).
DESIRED KEY COMPETENCIES
- Self-motivated, highly organized, meticulous hands-on habits, keen to accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Positive can-do attitude, responsible and responsive, and maintain a high degree of ethical standard and trustworthiness.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, able to reach rational conclusions through complex processing of information.
- Energized by accomplishments and excellence in the workplace. Competent of high performance in independent work and coordinated efforts in implementing group projects.
- Maintain timely documentation of laboratory work and keep well organized records.
- Evaluate results, analyze and interpret data to prepare projects updates, meeting presentations and research reports for documentation and publication.
The position is limited for to 2 years with the option of a permanent position. The weekly working time totals 39 hours and 50 minutes. Remuneration is given in accordance with the provisions of the collective agreement for the employees of the states (TV-L). Salary will be according to TV-L (E13).
Please address your application (incl. letter of motivation, CV, references, qualification certificates), preferably electronically, to email@example.com:
Dr. Andrea Rossi
IUF – Leibniz-Institut für umweltmedizinische Forschung
Auf’m Hennekamp 50