Positions in Microbiology: UK
The Division of Molecular Microbiology, within the School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee, is looking to recruit academic members of staff to expand its microbiology research and teaching programmes.
Who we are:
The Division of Molecular Microbiology is proud of its collegiate ethos and coordinated activities in research, teaching and public engagement. It is situated in the School of Life Sciences, which includes 80 research groups across the molecular and cellular life sciences and was ranked as the top UK University Biological department in REF2014 and consistently ranks within the top 10 Institutes world-wide for citations per paper (QS World University Rankings). Our undergraduate teaching is recognised by a TEF gold award and the School of Life Sciences delivery and support for public engagement with research recognised by a gold award from the National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement.
A special strength of the School of Life Sciences is our co-operative effort to establish and maintain state of the art technologies used for microbiology research and microbiology based research-led teaching. These include high-end imaging, proteomics, genomics, structural biology, cell sorting, and data analysis capabilities.
What we offer:
We are looking to appoint to any position on the academic scale from lecturer, senior lecturer, reader, to professor. For entry level positions, successful applicants will be provided with a start-up package and will enter our defined tenure track process. Transition to tenure usually occurs after 5-6 years and is supported by a structured mentoring programme that provides advice for career development, scientific projects, and guidance on establishing a strategy for long term funding. Typically, a start-up package includes financial support for relocation expenses and for purchase of essential equipment. We hope that applicants will obtain external fellowship support but are able to offer personal salary support and research costs, if required. Combined with access to students from dedicated, externally funded PhD student programs and the excellent research facilities available in Dundee, this provides a platform for the successful establishment of an independent career.
An equally strong recruitment package will be made available to candidates at other levels of appointment and mentoring for more senior staff is also available via a cross University program.
- Have a PhD in microbiology or another relevant discipline.
- Run (or plan to establish) a vibrant, externally funded research programme at a level commensurate with career stage. The research topic should complement and enhance our current research expertise.
- Contribute to the design and delivery of microbiology teaching at a level commensurate with career stage; for example, by delivery of lectures and/or tutorials on subject-specific topics and by supervision of project students at honours and masters of science levels.
- Contribute to the mentoring, supervision, and training of postgraduate students.
- Complete other administrative academic duties as agreed with the Head of the Division and/or the Dean of the School of Life Sciences.
- We are especially interested in applications from candidates with expertise within fundamental or applied molecular bacteriology.