Post-Doctoral Research Fellow - Microbiology: USA
Boston Medical Center (BMC) seeks a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow who will independently conducts a variety of sophisticated experiments in immunology and microbiology using a variety of state-of-the-art techniques and equipment, including confocal microscopy, flow cytometry, cell culture and molecular biology. Assists in the implementation of research protocols focusing on mechanisms associated with vaccine efficacy and adjuvant activity. Candidate will initiate and participate in the design, execution and evaluation of innovative experimental protocols focusing on how adjuvants induce immune stimulation and vaccine enhancement. Performs sophisticated data analysis. Interprets experimental results, prepares and writes manuscripts in conjunction with Principal Investigator. In collaboration with Principal Investigator and other researchers, presents research findings at institutional and national meetings. Supports a positive and constructive relationship between various laboratory and department/section personnel.
- Initiates and participates in the design, execution and evaluation of innovative research projects related to vaccine adjuvant activity and vaccine efficacy studies.
- Manages ongoing research projects or sections of research projects initiated by the principal investigator that focus on mechanisms involved in adjuvant innate immune stimulation and vaccine responses.
- Prepares and assists with the preparation of research proposals to federal agencies, foundations, and pharmaceutical companies.
- Coordinates and collaborates in grant writing efforts with designated individuals from other sections or departments.
- Develops analysis plans, drafts statistical analysis for descriptive statistics and advanced analysis techniques, compiles data, maintains databases, creates summary tables and writes summaries of results.
- Using current technology designs and performs scientific experiments and provides individual progress reports to mentor. Investigates other technologies and compares them to the current technology for evaluation of expense and ease of use.
- Authors and/or collaborates with other research staff in the preparation of peer-reviewed journal articles, reports and abstract submissions and poster presentations.
- Prepares and gives presentations to regional, state and national audiences on program development, experiences and results.
Departmental & Administrative Duties:
- Assists in the training and evaluation of research technicians, students and support personnel.
- Attends and participates in departmental scientific meetings, operational meetings, seminars, and other pertinent meetings.
- Participates in the development and review of the research budget as it relates to specific areas of research initiative.
- Serves as liaison and representative of the department/section to other hospital departments interested in collaborative research.
- Organizes and oversees a bimonthly research meeting for the department’s/section’s staff interested in research.
- Organizes and oversees a monthly journal club for the laboratory/section.
- Conforms to hospital standards of performance and conduct, including those pertaining to patient rights, so that the best possible customer service and patient care may be provided.
- Adheres to departmental policies and procedures with regard to punctuality and attendance.
- Utilizes hospital’s values as the basis for decision making and to facilitate the department/section’s hospital mission.
- Complies with laboratory biosafety practices and follows established hospital infection control and safety procedures.
Performs other duties, as needed.
Education: MD and/or PhD Required
Experience: 0-2 years’ post-doctoral experience relevant to innate and acquired immunology, signal transduction and cell biology.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of cell isolation, cell culture, confocal microscopy and flow cytometry required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (i.e. MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook) and web browsers. Experience with statistical analysis tools preferred.
- Ability to be self-directed, to prioritize essential tasks, and to balance numerous responsibilities.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in collaboration with a variety of individuals, including research scientists, clinicians, and administrators.