Postdoctoral fellowship in analyses of microbiome data: Norway
A three-year postdoctoral position at the University of Bergen, Norway, funded through the ERC Starting Grant project BRuSH. We are looking for a candidate with good programming skills and experience in analyses of microbiome (sequencing) data.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position
At the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Clinical Science, a full-time (100 %) position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow is available for a period of three (3) years. The position is part of the project ”Oral Bacteria as determinants for Respiratory Health (BRuSH)”, financed by the European Research Council (ERC).
This is an interdisciplinary project with different clinical and scientific partners in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Australia and the USA. Thus, the candidate needs to be flexible and mobile, with an international mindset
About the project/work tasks:
- Use of population-based cohorts to study associations between oral microbiome and lung health
- Analyse microbiome sequencing data from oral and environmental samples to assess associations with inflammation and respiratory endpoints
- Use bioinformatics tools to develop functional annotation models that will enable clustering of the bacteria into various lipopolysaccharides (LPS) producers (genomic-/functional assignment)
- Study association between proinflammatory oral bacteria and lung function decline
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within biostatistics, molecular biology, statistics, informatics, bio-informatics or a related discipline or have the doctoral thesis submitted prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded at the latest within 18.11.2020
- Experience from analyses of sequencing data (from next generation sequencing) is a requirement, preferable microbiome data
- Experience from genomic or functional annotation
- The candidate must have experience in advanced statistical analyses and use of R tools
- Knowledge in other statistical packages or programming languages will be an advantage
- Having produced original peer-reviewed publication as a first author in international journals within the field of microbiome or microbiota related research, biostatistics or statistical methods will be of importance
- Personal skills will be emphasized. Work independently and interactively in a team setting, be motivated and responsible, and also have a great work capacity and enthusiasm for research
- Proficiency in both written and oral English
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. Postdoctoral fellowships are fixed term positions. You can not be employed as a postdoctoral fellow for more than one fixed term period at the same institution. Also, you cannot be employed in a postdoctoral position if you have previously held this type of position at a different institution in the region.
Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work including a work schedule. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
The employee may be assigned required duties in the form of teaching and similar work at the department.
We can offer:
- Exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment
- salary level 62 (code 1352/pay framework 24.4) at present NOK 552 800 gross p.a., with a degree in Medicine or Dentistry level 63 (code 1352/pay framework 24.7) at present NOK 563 700, with a medical specialization level 65 (code 1352/pay framework 24.9) at present NOK 583 900, gross p.a. on the government salary scale. Further promotion will be after service seniority in the position
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant`s research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- transcripts and diplomas (applicants with education from other countries than Norway must enclose witnessed diplomas in both the original language and authorized translations) and documentation of approved doctoral thesis
- complete list of publications
- publications (pdf) it is important that each of the scholarly works on which the committee should place special emphasis, is attached in its entirety
- two referees (name and contact information)
For further information please contact Randi J Bertelsen, e-mail: randi.j.bertelsen, phone: +4799674046
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principles of public access to information when recruiting staff to academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named in the list of applicants. The applicant will be notified if their request is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.