Postdoctoral Fellowship in Physical Virology: Sweden
The Department of Clinical Microbiology, Umeå University, is looking for a postdoc (for 2 years) in biophysics to be active in a research project aiming at studying the mechanisms by which binding and release of viruses are modulated at the cell surface. Specifically, you will focus on elucidating the role of Ebola’s mucin-like region in modulating interactions with cell-surface glycosaminoglycans. For this purpose, you will use a combination of biophysical, biochemical and cell biology technologies.
This postdoc project will be carried out at the Faculty of Medicine within the Wallenberg Center for Molecular Medicine (WCMM) (https://www.umu.se/en/wallenberg-centre-for-molecular-medicine/) at the Department of Clinical Microbiology (section of virology) in the group of Marta Bally (https://www.umu.se/en/research/groups/marta-bally/). The group adopts an interdisciplinary approach combining classical virology and biophysics to study virus-membrane interactions and virus entry.
The successful candidate should have a PhD in medical or natural sciences with focus on biophysics, cell biology, biosciences, chemistry, or related disciplines. Any, or a combination of, the following skills is a strong asset:
- Expertise in fluorescence microscopy, single particle/molecule tracking and image analysis
- Expertise in optical tweezers or AFM-based force spectroscopy
- Experience in glycochemistry or bioconjugation
- Experience in virology
- Ability to independently plan experiments, develop methods and carry out analyzes, and summarize results in English is a requirement.
It is expected that the candidate can conduct research in a highly independent manner and has a willingness to apply for additional funding for their project. In addition, the candidate should be comfortable with working in an interdisciplinary environment at the interface between physics, chemistry and biology and to cooperate with other research groups.
The application should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. It should contain:
- A cover letter, highlighting your specific qualifications and motivation for this position
- Curriculum Vitae including full list of publications and the name of at least 2 reference persons
- Application deadline: We encourage application submission prior to August 11 for full consideration. Applications will be screened until a suitable candidate has been found.
- Starting date: anytime 2019.