Postdoctoral position in oral microbiology: Belgium
A postdoctoral research position is available immediately in the oral microbiology research group of the Periodontology section of the Department of Oral Health Sciences (KULeuven). The aim is to develop an integrate omics analyses in the current research lines which primarily focus on probiotics and prebiotics for oral health. The research group is a consortium of dentist-researchers (WT & MQ, Dept. Oral Health Sciences, Periodontology & Oral Microbiology Section) with a profound expertise in oral microbiology and engineer-researchers (KB, Dept. Chemical Engineering (CIT), Bio- & Chemical Systems Technology, Reactor Engineering and Safety Section) with a profound expertise in microbial dynamics (metabolism, kinetics, species interactions) and industrial biotechnology. In relation to the aims of this project, there will be collaborated within the KU Leuven with the Dep. Microbiology and Immunology; Laboratory of Molecular Bacteriology (Prof. L. Vanmellaert) & Laboratory of Molecular Immunology (Prof. P. Proost & Prof. S. Struyf). For this project, there will also be collaborated with the Center for Microbial Ecology and Technology (Prof. N. Boon) of the University of Ghent.
Overall this project will address the hypothesis that substrate availability and metabolic interactions are determining and steering forces for microbiological shifts within the oral cavity and we will try to identify those substrates that can shift the ecology towards a disease associated microbiology or a health associated microbiology.
- The successful candidate will work in close collaboration with students/PhD’s and will guide them
- You will contribute to the implementation of OMICS techniques in the current research lines.
- You will contribute to the further development of pro and prebiotics for oral health.
- You are responsible for the successful execution of research projects and interaction with commercial research partners.
- You have a PhD in Sciences, Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Pharmacy or Bioengineering Sciences (with a strong background in microbiology).
- You have experience in omics techniques.
- Background in oral microbiology is an advantage.
- Proof of scientific creativity is an advantage.
- You have excellent communication skills and you are a team player.
- You can organize and manage a multidisciplinary project and you have a problem- .
- You have an excellent knowledge of the English language (spoken and written).
- You have astrong publication record in top ranked peer-reviewed international journals.
- You have excellent writing skills for the preparation of progression reports and scientific papers.
- Contribute with enthusiasm to an ambitious andhighly interdisciplinary team.
We offer a position for 1 year with the possibility of renewal after a positive evaluation.
Currently funding will be provided for 24 months, which can then be extended when additional funding has been secured by the fellow or by the lab on this topic.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Wim Teughels, tel.: +3216332505, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Share this opportunity