Postdoctoral research position in Microbial Ecology/Environmental Engineering: Spain
The candidate will work on the recently funded European Project Horizon 2020 ELECTRA (Electricity driven Low Energy and Chemical input Technology foR Accelerated bioremediation).
ELECTRA is a recently approved 4-year project that involves the participation of 17 universities, research centres and companies in the EC and China. The project aims at improving bioremediation of surface and ground waters, as well as soils, using innovative approaches based on bioelectrochemical technologies, potentially having a low energy and contamination impacts on site. ELECTRA involves the participation of European and Chinese partners in two highly connected consortia, thus bringing to the candidate a good opportunity to interact with multiple institutions among Europe and Asia.
The project tackles with basic research at laboratory scale with several bioremediation techniques and contaminants, and envisions the final application of “on-site” tests and application of winner technologies in contaminated sites that have been selected in Europe and China. The participation of the University of Girona in ELECTRA is funnelled through the LEQUIA and gEMM/IEA research groups and brings together expertise in molecular microbiology and bioelectrochemistry. Proposed technologies at the UdG to be tested within ELECTRA include the use of bioelectrochemical systems (BES) for the simultaneous removal of nutrients and metals. Tasks include all steps from selection of microorganisms to tests on site.
The candidate will work on the initial steps of strains development and purification together with testing in BES reactors. Emphasis will be put to develop new isolation and enrichment techniques and the implementation of molecular methods for the detection, enumeration and evaluation of candidate microorganisms.
We look for a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher in Microbial Ecology/Environmental Engineering, with proven skills and expertise based on previous publications in the fields. Although not mandatory, expertise in bioelectrochemical engineering will be valued.
Scientific knowledge and skills
- hold a PhD in biology, microbiology, environmental engineering, biotechnology, or equivalent
- be fluent in English
- experience and knowledge on wastewater technologies and electrochemistry isdesirable
- be able to work with regular analytics (IC, GC, LC), and molecular analyses (PCR, amplicon based sequencing)
- experience in bioinformatics is desirable
- be able to design and perform experiments, and to analyse data critically
- be able to communicate through high-quality scientific channels, e.g. peerreviewed publications, presentations to conferences or seminars, etc.
Personal knowledge and skills
- ability to work effectively with team members from different backgrounds andwith different tasks
- ability to meet objectives within strictly set deadlines
- demonstrated ability to work efficiently and with minimum supervision
- willingness to travel internationally for project meetings and conferences
Applications must be sent via e-mail with subject line mentioning “ELECTRA PostDoc UdG” to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than December 21st 2018
More information regarding this position can be obtained directly contacting:
Dr. Lluis Bañeras (email@example.com)
Dr. Sebastià Puig (firstname.lastname@example.org)