Postdoctoral Researcher in Microbial Electrosynthesis: Finland
Tampere University of Technology (TUT) is looking for a postdoctoral researcher with the main focus on microbial electrosynthesis for a fixed period of two years. The position is suitable for academics with previous experience on bioelectrochemical systems with the motivation and a proven ability to engage in high quality research leading to publications in internationally recognized journals. Experience in reactor design and/or molecular biology techniques is appreciated.
The postdoctoral researcher will be working in Bio and Circular Economy Research Group, which focuses on environmental technology, synthetic biology, bioenergy and biorefining with the ultimate goal to promote a cleaner and safer future for the benefit of people and the environment. The group covers research from molecular biology level up to biorefinery and power plants and to urban and industrial systems. The group has also active collaboration with industry and several national and international research organizations. Research interests on bioelectrochemical systems include wastewater treatment, resource recovery from municipal and industrial wastewaters (e.g. nutrients and metals), microbial electrosynthesis and modern molecular biology techniques for studying anodic and cathodic microbial communities.
The primary role of the postdoctoral researcher is to engage in research in the field of bioelectrochemical systems, concentrating on microbial electrosynthesis. The focus can be either on enrichment of suitable microbial communities and their characterization or on design of a novel reactor configuration, depending on the background of the applicant. The postdoctoral period will include one or two research exchanges to recognized research group(s) outside of Finland. In addition, we provide possibility to participate in research related to our other ongoing research projects in collaboration with other members of the Bio and Circular Economy Research Group as well as national and international collaborators. It is expected that research to be carried out by the postdoctoral researcher results in peer-reviewed articles published in relevant academic journals. While the advertised position is primarily research-based, the postdoctoral researcher has also possibility to participate in the development of new research initiatives and teaching provided by the la
- The applicant should have a doctoral degree in environmental technology, biotechnology, microbiology, or a related field, and have experience on research work related to bioelectrochemical systems.
- The applicant should be fluent in both written and verbal English.
- The successful applicant is a highly motivated and ambitious researcher.
- Proficiency to carry out goal-oriented work, good skills to deliver oral and written presentations of research results, and good cooperation abilities will be appreciated.
- In addition to carrying out independent research work, the postdoctoral researcher may be expected to participate in the supervision of students within the research group.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted through the University’s online application form in English. The closing date for applications is 16th September 2018.
For more information, please contact Assistant Professor (tenure track) Marika Kokko (email@example.com).