Professor in Medical Microbiology: Belgium
Ghent University is one of the most important education and research institutions in the Low Countries. On a daily basis, over 9,000 staff members and 41,000 students implement its motto “Dare to Think”. Ghent University’s mission statement is characterised by qualitative education, internationally renowned research and a pluralistic social responsibility.
This position in the rank of assistant professor, funded by the Special Research Fund, is a tenure track appointment for a period of 5 years with a focus on research and with a teaching load limited to no more than 8 ECTS credits per semester on average over a period of 3 years. For the further development of the academic career, please see ‘Appointment information’ below.
You lecture various course units in the discipline of Medical Microbiology.
You conduct research in the discipline of Medical Microbiology and can continue previously established research activities and/or join research activities within the department of Diagnostic Sciences
You take part in the internal and external service provision of the department of Diagnostic Sciences (GE32).
- You have already conducted excellent academic research in the given discipline, which is clearly reflected in outstanding publications in national and international peer-reviewed books and/or journals;
- You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop academic competences;
- Experience in supervising research and/or coaching Ph.D. students;
- International mobility, among other things thanks to research stays at institutions external to the one where you acquired your highest academic degree;
- Positively evaluated experience in provided or organised academic lecturing;
- Professionalisation of education;
- Having access to existing professional networks and contacts providing clinical relevant research cases and clinical materials;
- Experience in microbiological laboratory techniques;
- Experience in medical microbiology scientific research;
- Experience in microbiological diagnostics and the development of molecular diagnostics.
Skills / Attitude
- You are quality-oriented;
- You take initiative;
- You have good didactic skills;
- You are a team player;
- You have good organisational, interpersonal and communication skills;
- You develop leadership in your area of expertise;
- You have the skills to obtain external financing supporting your research activities.
You hold a thesis-based doctorate or a diploma or certificate that is recognised as equivalent (article V.20 Codex Higher Education).
Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) diploma, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested at NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than on the date of your appointment.
You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience October 1, 2019. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma.
We offer you a temporary appointment as an assistant professor in a tenure track system for a term of five years with a focus on research. If positively evaluated by the University Board, the term of office will be transferred into a permanent appointment as an associate professor. At that moment the time devoted to research, education and academic services may be altered.
Should you already be a member of the professorial staff or hold an equal post at another university or research institution, you can immediately be appointed as an assistant professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education.