Professor of microbiology : Denmark
Department of Science and Environment, Roskilde University, invites applications for a position as professor with special responsibilities (MSO) within microbiology from 1.10.2018 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position as professor (MSO) is limited to a period of 5 years with remuneration as associate professor.
Department of Science and Environment is one of four departments at Roskilde University. The department conducts basic and applied research within medical biology, molecular biology, environmental sciences, chemistry, physics and mathematics. Bachelor and master programs are offered within these areas. The Molecular & Medical Biology group conducts research and teaches in basic molecular biology topics often combined with a biomedical or application-oriented angle. The research group works in both eukaryotic and prokaryotic organisms with research within host-pathogen interactions, antimicrobial peptides, bacterial physiology, cell-biology, cancer development, structural characterizations of proteins, metabolic disorders using a variety of molecular and biochemical techniques. We have state-of-the-art equipment facilities such as fluorescence confocal microscopy, NGS platform, Mass-spectrometry, HPLC, NMR, cell-culturing, GMO2 and Biosafety level 2 laboratories, and acquired a new laboratory building in 2016.
Responsibilities and tasks
- The Professor MSO’s main tasks are to develop the field of research and to undertake research and research-based teaching within medical microbiology and bacteria-host interactions.
- The professor is expected to maintain a significant record of publications, to inspire research accomplishment and to nurture a research culture within the research group.
- You will also be expected to secure external research funding, and participate actively in research networks.
- You will be required to teach, supervise and assess students at BSc and MSc levels as well as PhD students. This also implies developing the field in relation to teaching.
- As professor, you will be required to participate in post-doctoral training and be responsible for the supervision of assistant professors as well as take part in academic assessments.
- The position also requires share of knowledge with the rest of society – including participation in public debate.
- Finally, you will be expected to contribute to management and leadership through engagement in the Department.
The successful candidate for the position is expected to:
- Develop the field of research by establishing and provide external funding for a research group.
- Undertake research and research-based teaching in medical and molecular microbiology.
- Have experience with education in relation to projects and multidisciplinary work.
Applicants must hold a PhD degree or equivalent within biology, biochemistry, biomedicine or medicine.
Qualifications within one or more of the following scientific areas are required:
- Documented scientific qualifications such as an associate professor equivalent in relation to the above mentioned subject area(s).
- Bacteria-host interactions.
- Bacterial infections.
- Bacterial genetics.
- Bacterial cell biology.
- Molecular biology.
The ideal candidate shall be enterprising and possess good communication skills and be a visible, involved participant in the Department’s daily activities, in addition to being willing to engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the department. The candidate should be able to teach in English immediately and learn Danish no later than 3 years following appointment to ensure satisfactory participation in teaching activities as well as in academic and administrative activities at the university.
The ideal candidate shall have strong national and international network and have good track record of obtaining national as well as international grants.
Roskilde University has a strategic aim to be a key collaboration partner in the Zealand region and any demonstration of or participation in regional collaboration is an advantage.
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to;
• Original scientific production at an international level in relation to the above-mentioned field(s),
• Development of the field,
• Experience with providing adaptive leadership in the development of research and teaching,
• The ability to promote and utilize research results,
• Experience in teaching and education,
• Ability to contribute to development of the department’s internal and external cooperation,
• Proven experience in securing external research funding.
• Excellent written and oral English fluency
For further information about the position, please contact Head of Section Jesper Troelsen on tel. (45) 4674 2728 or email: email@example.com or Head of Department Susanne Sørensen on tel. (45) 4674 2111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.