Project manager - food microbiology: Belgium
At the Research Unit Food Microbiology and Food Preservation (Faculty of Bioscience engineering) together with the Laboratory for Microbiology (Faculty of Sciences) at Ghent University, an extensive knowledge is present on the microbial spoilage mechanisms of food products. Recently, a two year project of the industrial research fund (IOF) of Ghent University was granted to establish the scientific, technical and commercial basis for the development of a spin-off that will market products which will greatly facilitate microbial shelf-life and stability tests in the food industry and allied sectors.
The project manager will be responsible for:
(1) managing the lab experiments, necessary for bringing the new product to the market, performed together with a full time technician; and
(2) preparing a detailed and solid business plan that will form the basis for creating a spin-off. For this, intensive contacts with potential clients in the food industry will have to be made.
Therefore, we are looking for an experienced scientist who wants to evolve towards a more commercial profile and possibly may play an important role in the spin-off to be created.
- a 1 year postdoctoral or scientific staff position with a competitive salary (based on level of experience), with the possibility of renewal for a second year
- depending on the outcome of the project and the performance of the candidate, a leading role in the spin-off to be created is an option
- the candidate will have access to state-of-the-art tools and facilities at Ghent University
- the candidate will have access to diverse soft skills training seminars and courses offered by Ghent University
- the candidate will be directly involved in an international research group that works together as a team and will have the possibility to collaborate with other active researchers at Ghent University
- the research group is situated in Ghent (Coupure Links 653), a lively city at the heart of Europe (https://visit.gent.be/en/HOME)
Starting date: as soon as possible, but flexible.
Profile of the candidate
- you hold a PhD (or equivalent due to experience) in Food Microbiology, Microbiology or a similar discipline
- you have experience in food microbiology or related disciplines
- you preferentially have knowledge or background in business development. When not, you are prepared to follow permanent education to obtain these skills
- you want to evolve into business development in the future and you are driven by all aspects involved in the set-up of a spin-off
- you have a team player mindset and work in a result-oriented manner
- you are creative, hard-working and willing to work in a multidisciplinary context
- you are proficient in oral and written English and have strong communication skills
- you are able to extend your network and able to talk on technical matters
How to apply
Please send your CV, containing a summary of past research, contact information of at least 2 referees, and a motivation letter to Prof. Frank Devlieghere (Frank.Devlieghere@ugent.be), before November 15th 2018. Early application is encouraged as the applications are processed upon reception.