Research Scientist in Microbial Ecology/Bioinformatics: Germany
The Institute of Biodiversity at the Johann Heinrich von Thünen Institute in Braunschweig, Germany seeks to appoint for a period of 24 months starting 1 April 2018 (or later), a Research Scientist with expertise in Bioinformatics and Microbial Ecology.
The 24-month term is fixed. The employment complies with the terms of the contract for Public Service (TVöD); payment will be according to the German pay scale TVöD 13, which includes health and social insurances. The place of work is Braunschweig, Germany.
Johann Heinrich von Thünen Institute
- The Thünen Institute is a German research institute under the auspices of the German Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL).
- Besides conducting leading research, it provides scientific support in the decision-making of the German government.
- The Institute of Biodiversity studies life in agroecosystems, especially in regard to the utilization and protection of biodiversity including plants, animals, and microorganisms
The successful candidate will be part of the Microbiology and Molecular Ecology group lead by Prof. Dr. Christoph Tebbe.
- The group is an international team studying the Microbial Ecology of soil and other environments.
- The group participates in international collaborations supported by the European Commission, the German Science Foundation (DFG), and ot her funding agencies. It also hosts the triannual Thünen Symposium on Soil Metagenomics.
- For research, high-throughput DNA sequencing, isotope techniques, and a wide range of classical and molecular tools complemented by multivariate statistical analyses and new graphical visualization techniques are routinely applied.
- Analysis of high-throughput DNA sequencing data and environmental parameters from previous and ongoing research projects characterizing microbial diversity and it’s responses to environmental factors
- Maintaining an up-to-date bioinformatical and statistical toolset, evaluating and implementing newly published methods in metagenomics, metatranscriptomics, statistics, and data visualization
- Developing strategies to assess spatial and temporal ecological patterns and interactions within microbial communities
- Collaborating and supporting the exchange of experience with bioinformatics and statistical analyses within the Thünen Institute and with partners in national and international projects
- Generation of reports, presentations, and manuscripts for publi cation in international, peer-reviewed journals. Presentation of the result s at internal and external meetings, workshops, and conferences
- Assist in the organization of workshops and the development of new research ideas and grant writing
- PhD in microbiology, biotechnology, bioinformatics or related disciplines
- Great interest in agricultural and environmental topics
- Knowledge in molecular microbial ecology, next-generation DNA sequencing technologies, and bioinformatics
- Knowledge in general and applied ecology would be appreciated
- Experience with multivariate statistics
- Experience with R, Linux systems, and programming is an advantage
- Ability to work independently and strong capacity for interdisciplinary teamwork
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Willingness to travel within Europe (days to weeks) for collaborations
- German language skills are advantageous but not required
- Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and copies of relevant certificates. Electronic submission is preferred.
- E-mail all application material must be compiled in a single pdf-document (subject header: “Bioinformatics and Ecology position”) and submitted no later than 25 February 2018 to email@example.com