Senior Scientist at the Department of Limnology and Bio-Oceanography: Austria
The Division of Limnology at the University of Vienna and the WasserCluster Lunz seek to employ a scientist experienced in the fields of aquatic microbial ecology and biogeochemistry. The intended focus shall be on interactions and linkage of subterranean and surface freshwater ecosystems with emphasis on microbial community diversity and physiology related to carbon cycling and climate change. Duration of contract: 6 years with the possibility of extension.
The position is located at the WasserCluster Lunz and entails the duties, obligations and opportunities of a group leader. Through filling this position, we aim at complementing and extending existing research fields at WasserCluster Lunz. The WasserCluster Lunz is an inter-university centre for aquatic ecosystem research. The institute provides an innovative work environment of interdisciplinary and international scientists. In addition to experimental facilities, state-of-the-art laboratories are available that include basic infrastructure for molecular and microbiological work, flow cytometry, confocal microscopy, IRMS, gas-chromatography, HPLC and TOC analyser, etc.
- The position requires a PhD, a distinguished record of research and experience in leading an active research programme. The successful candidate must have demonstrated the ability to secure external funding, and show strong commitment to the mentoring of students and fellows. The scientific working languages at WasserCluster Lunz are English and German.
- The candidate will have a strong background in microbial ecology. Additional experience in biogeochemistry, groundwater ecology, microbial physiology, hydrogeology, statistics and ecological modelling is of advantage.
- Successful application and execution of research projects
- Co-supervision of bachelor, master and PhD students.
- Experience in conducting university courses in microbial ecology, limnology and/or groundwater ecology as well as related fields in English and/or German.
- Experience in presenting at international conferences and workshops.
- Publications in international journals of the respective field.
- Skills in communication and team work in an international and interdisciplinary team.
- An international scientific network and ongoing collaborations.
The position will be filled as soon as possible. It is offered for 6 years with the possibility of a long-term prolongation upon scientific evaluation. Place of duty is Lunz am See, Austria.
As part of the application, a research outline is required.
Candidates are asked to submit a full CV (including ORCID number), list of publications, and names and addresses of three academic references.
For further information please contact Griebler, Christian +43-1-4277-76416.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 9341