Microbiology in Action
This year is our 7th Congress which brings together microbiologists from across the globe to showcase the best of microbiology. To further highlight the best of microbiology, we have joined forces with seven of our Member Societies to exhibit a collection of articles published in their respective journals. The theme of this joint special issue is Microbiology in Action, showcasing the important role that microorganisms play in our everyday lives. We are delighted to highlight the diversity of respected journals linked to our participating Member Societies, and warmly invite you to enjoy this impressive collection of microbiology in action.
- Zika virus: from pathogenesis to disease control |FEMS Microbiology Letters
- Comparison of Cultivable Acetic Acid Bacterial Microbiota in Organic and Conventional Apple Cider Vinegar | Food Technology and Biotechnology
- Transcriptional regulators of GntR family in Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2): analysis in silico and in vivo of YtrA subfamily | DOI: 10.1007/s12223-015-0426-7| Folia Microbiologica
- Influence of Platelet-rich Plasma on the immune response of human monocyte-derived dendritic cells and macrophages stimulated with Aspergillus fumigatus | DOI: 10.1016/j.ijmm.2016.11.010 | International Journal of Medical Microbiology
- A model for the ergosterol biosynthetic pathway in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii | DOI: 10.1080/09670262.2016.1225318 | European Journal of Phycology, 52:1, 64-74 (2017)
- Enhanced biodegradation and detoxification of disperse azo dye Rubine GFL and textile industry effluent by defined fungal-bacterial consortium | DOI: 10.1016/j.ibiod.2012.06.001 | International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation
- Monitoring of airborne biological particles in outdoor atmosphere. Part 1: Importance, variability and ratios | DOI: 10.2436/20.1501.01.258 | International Microbiology
- Fungal endophytes in germinated seeds of the common bean, Phaseolus vulgaris | DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.funbio.2016.01.017 |Fungal Biology
- Gaia and her microbiome | DOI: 10.1093/femsec/fiw247 | FEMS Microbiology Ecology
- Quality and Composition of Airén Wines Fermented by Sequential Inoculation of Lachancea thermotolerans and Saccharomyces cerevisiae | DOI: 10.17113/ft b.54.02.16.4220 | Food Technology and Biotechnology
- Current views on HIV-1 latency, persistence, and cure | DOI: 10.1007/s12223-016-0474-7 | Folia Microbiologica
- Members of a new subgroup of Streptococcus anginosus harbor virulence related genes previously observed in Streptococcus pyogenes | DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmm.2017.02.002 | International Journal of Medical Microbiology
- Flagellar waveforms of gametes in the brown alga Ectocarpus siliculosus |DOI: 10.1080/09670262.2015.1109144 |European Journal of Phycology, 51:2, 139-148 (2016)
- Improved enzyme production by co-cultivation of Aspergillus niger and Aspergillus oryzae and with other fungi |DOI: 10.1016/j.ibiod.2010.11.008 | International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation
- Unicellular but not asocial. Life in community of a bacterium | DOI: 10.2436/20.1501.01.266 | International Microbiology
- Secondary metabolism in Trichoderma – Chemistry meets genomics | DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbr.2016.05.001 | Fungal Biology Reviews
The British Mycological Society is open to all who are interested in promoting and learning about the exciting world of fungi. It has member sections devoted to particular aspects of the fungal world, including cutting- edge research into many aspects of fungal science, the conservation and recording of fungal fruitbodies and the provision of educational resources for all ages and experience.
British Phycological Society
The British Phycological Society is devoted to the study of algae. Founded in 1952, it was one of the first phycological societies to be established in the world, and is today the largest in Europe.
Croatian Microbiological Society
The Croatian Microbiological Society was founded in 1958 to gather experts in microbiology and related fields. It exists to promote the advancement of research and teaching in all branches of microbiology and immunology as well as to encourage the exchange of information.
Czechoslovak Society for Microbiology
The Czechoslovak Society for Microbiology is one of the oldest organizations of its kind, established in 1928. Its mission is to enable microbiologists to exchange information and experiences.
The Federation of European Microbiological Societies – promotes excellence and diversity in science to help solve societal problems around microbiology. It does this by funding research, publishing journals, and by building a growing, collaborative network.
The German Society for Hygiene and Microbiology is one of the oldest specialized societies in the areas of recognition, treatment and prevention of infectious diseases. The affiliated International Journal of Medical Microbiology publishes research articles and reviews dealing with molecular mechanisms of pathogenicity and evolution of pathogens.
International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation Society
The International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation Society was formally established in 1969 as an international, multidisciplinary organisation concerned with the biodeterioration of commercially important materials. We aim to promote the science and technology of not only biodeterioration but also biodegradation and bioremediation.
Spanish Society for Microbiology
The Spanish Society for Microbiology was founded in 1946 and promotes basic and applied microbiology to encourage international relations and to bring together the many professionals who work in all its various fields. It is an interdisciplinary society with some 1,700 members.
- European Journal of Phycology
- FEMS Microbiology Ecology
- FEMS Microbiology Letters
- Folia Microbiologica
- Food Technology and Biotechmology
- Fungal Biology
- Fungal Biology Reviews
- International Journal of Medical Microbiology
- International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation
- International Microbiology
Deciding and embarking on a career, working towards and taking the next professional step, hunting THAT job has high stakes and can be daunting. One could think that it has become less daunting given the days when jobs were for life are gone. However, the job hunt often takes place at generally stressful times: we may be working towards a qualification/that paper that needs adding to the CV, or time for hunting must be found on top of a demanding job.