Microbiology & Infection
FEMS in association with two FEMS Member Societies, the Association for General and Applied Microbiology (VAAM) and the German Society for Hygiene and Microbiology (DGHM) have produced a collection of articles called “Microbiology & Infection” in connection with the 5th Joint Conference VAAM Annual Meeting 2017 • 69th Annual Meeting of the DGHM 5–8 March 2017 • Würzburg (Germany).
- Systembiologie, Toxine und Epidemiologie von Clostridium difficile | BIOspektrum
- Propionibacterium acnes inhibits FOXM1 and induces cell cycle alterations in human primary prostate cells | International Journal of Medical Microbiology
- The dormant blood microbiome in chronic, inflammatory diseases | FEMS Microbiology Reviews
- Streptomyces: Mikrobe des Jahres 2016 / Streptomyceten: Relevanz für Ökologie, Medizin und Biotechnologie | BIOspektrum
- Strain-specific impact of the high-pathogenicity island on virulence in extra-intestinal pathogenic Escherichia coli | International Journal of Medical Microbiology
- Potential use of probiotic and commensal bacteria as non-antibiotic strategies against vancomycin-resistant enterococci | FEMS Microbiology Letters
- Biosensoren – Die Sensorik der Zelle für die Biotechnologie nutzen | BIOspektrum
- Extended spectrum beta-lactamase producing Enterobacteriaceae causing bloodstream infections in rural Ghana, 2007–2012 | International Journal of Medical Microbiology
- Antibiotic resistance genes across a wide variety of metagenomes | FEMS Microbiology Ecology
- Bakterielle Kommunikation: Signale und Signal-inaktivierende Enzyme | BIOspektrum
- The glycolytic enzyme enolase represents a plasminogen-binding protein on the surface of a wide variety of medically important fungal species | International Journal of Medical Microbiology
- Neutrophils in tuberculosis—first line of defence or booster of disease and targets for host-directed therapy? | Pathogens and Disease
More than 3500 microbiologists are members of the Vereinigung für Allgemeine und Angewandte Mikrobiologie (VAAM, Association for General and Applied Microbiology). The VAAM promotes the exchange of scientific information and translates the benefits of microbiological research for the society and the environment. This is achieved by the annual conference in spring representing all areas of microbiology, as well as through special conferences on specific microbiological topics. The members’ journal BIOspektrum is published seven times a year, offering the full spectrum of biological sciences.
The German Society for Hygiene and Microbiology is one of the oldest specialized societies in the areas of recognition, treatment and prevention of infectious diseases. The affiliated International Journal of Medical Microbiology publishes research articles and reviews dealing with molecular mechanisms of pathogenicity and evolution of pathogens
Federation of European Microbiological Societies
FEMS, the Federation of European Microbiological Societies – promotes excellence and diversity in science to help solve societal problems around microbiology. It does this by funding research, publishing journals, and by building a growing, collaborative network
- Biospektrum http://www.biospektrum.de/
- International Journal of Medical Microbiology http://www.journals.elsevier.com/international-journal-of-medical-microbiology
- FEMS journals https://academic.oup.com/fems-journals
Geobacter bacteria are the only microorganisms known to produce conductive appendages or pili to electronically connect cells to extracellular electron acceptors such as iron oxide minerals and uranium. What mechanisms allow their biofilms to generate electrical currents and participate in metal redox transformations?