Assistant Professor position in Systems Microbiology: University of Manitoba, Canada
The Department of Microbiology at the University of Manitoba, Canada invites applications for a full-time tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level, commencing 1 July 2018 or on a date mutually agreed upon.
Position details (# 24873)
- The Department seeks an emerging scholar with a commitment to excellence in teaching and research; however, exceptional candidates at any level are welcome to apply.
- Outstanding candidates in any area of Microbiology will be considered, with particular emphasis on candidates who will complement or extend the department’s strengths in systems microbiology with a focus on host-microbe interactions, microbe-microbe interactions, microbial communities, bioprocessing or microbe-based bioremediation.
- The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. and preferably post-doctoral experience or other distinguishing attributes, such as relevant research experience, in systems microbiology or a related field.
- Duties will include undergraduate teaching, graduate teaching and supervision, research, including the establishment of an externally funded research program, and service-related activities.
- The successful candidate will have a track record of high quality scholarly research leading to peer assessed publications; will either have, or demonstrate the potential to establish, an independent, innovative, scholarly, externally fundable research program; will have demonstrated strength in or strong potential for outstanding teaching contributions; and will exhibit evidence of the ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To enhance our department and create role models for a diverse population of students, we particularly invite application from those who can support and enhance our diversity, including women, Indigenous peoples, other visible minorities, and those committed to a diverse environment.
- The Department currently has 14 full time tenured and tenure track faculty members and three Instructors, and offers a full range of both undergraduate and graduate programs in microbiology.
- The Department has a well-established and equipped research facility, including microbiological growth and analysis facilities, a fluorescence microscopy suite and an x-ray diffraction facility, and is supported by strong research links with other University of Manitoba departments including Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Plant Science, Biosystems Engineering, and Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease.
- Winnipeg is the largest city in the Province of Manitoba. The city has a rich cultural environment, including symphony, opera, dance, theatre, and ethnic festivals. The region provides ample opportunities for outdoor recreation in all seasons. Learn more about Winnipeg at winnipeg.ca.
The University of Manitoba is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, racialized persons/persons of colour, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
- Applications including a curriculum vitae, a description of teaching philosophy, a summary of research interests, and a three page research plan should be sent to Deborah.Court@umanitoba.ca (PDF files preferred).
- In addition, the applicant should arrange for three letters of reference to be sent directly to the same email address.
- Please ensure to specify position number 24873 in the application. For further information contact the Search Committee Chair at Deborah.Court@umanitoba.ca.
- The closing date for receipt of applications is 2 March 2018. Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Please note that curricula vitae may be provided to participating members of the search process.