Biological Science Laboratory Technician (Microbiology): USA

U.S. Department of the Interior is looking for a  Biological Science Laboratory Technician (Microbiology) to work within the Western Fisheries Research Center.


  • plans and designs the approach in collecting data needed to carry out studies or portions of fishery investigations, executes procedures for data interpretation and prepares reports and assigned sections of peer reviewed papers for completed studies
  • develops and applies the application of molecular genetic assays for species identification from samples collected from a diversity of sources, including fin tissues, stomach contents, and water
  • compiles, analyzes, and summarizes laboratory data for preparation of draft reports; verifies mathematical, statistical, and spatial computations
  • monitors laboratory budget, orders supplies, maintains inventory, and trains less senior staff on field and laboratory procedures and data collection protocols
  • operates a motor vehicle as an incidental driver
  • operates and maintains boats for data collection activities

Physical Demands and Work Environment :

Office and laboratory work is primarily sedentary, but the outdoor work requires regular and recurring physical exertion such as bending, heavy lifting up to 50 pounds, pulling, hiking, wading in cold waters and getting wet. The work requires average strength, agility, and dexterity to conduct work from boats up to 24 feet in length, as well as hiking during the day, backpacking, and camping at field sites. The work is divided between the office and outdoors and involves regular and recurring moderate risks or discomforts that require special safety gear and protective clothing and to follow procedures for minimizing risk. Temperature and weather extremes are encountered while performing outdoor work. Travel Required: 50% or less – Overnight travel of up to 10 nights per month may be required.

Conditions of Employment

Applicants must be U.S. Citizens. Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation. Selectee must provide a valid state driver’s license & safe driving record. Selectee subject to successful completion of a pre-employment medical exam. More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.

Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?

Taking and passing a pre-employment medical examination at Federal expense is required due to the physical demands of this job. Because this position requires travel for official business, the selectee will be required to apply for a charge card within 30 calendar days of appointment. Individuals who have delinquent account balances from a previous Government charge card will be required to satisfy their existing obligation before a new card can be issued. You will be required to operate a government-owned or -leased vehicle in the performance of your official duties. Applicants for this position must meet the following requirements : (1) possess a valid State license, and (2) possess a safe driving record. If selected, you may be required to provide proof of a valid State license and a copy of your driving record.A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system. Conditions of Employment as Required by the USGS Watercraft Safety Program : Must be able to take and pass the Motorboat Operator Certification Course (MOCC) within six (6) months of employment.Must be able to obtain and maintain First Aid and CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification for the duration of employment. Must be able to obtain and maintain Wilderness or Advanced First Aid certification for duration of employment.


For information on basic qualifications, which includes information on whether you may substitute education for specialized experience, please click on the following : . If you are qualifying based on specialized experience, you must meet the requirements listed below :

One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-8 level.

  • examples of GS-8 level work may include : performing varied and complex assignments such as designing and conducting experiments and / or collecting and analyzing data
  • performing field identification of biological information; administering a segment of a limited project; maintaining production levels in a laboratory setting; analyzing, evaluating, and consolidating reports; and developing new procedures and techniques for use by others

Work at this level is performed independently within the general instructions relating to scope, objectives, time limitations, priorities, etc. provided at the outset of the assignment / project. Significant discretion is exercised in selecting from among a large variety of feasible alternatives. Approval is obtained prior to implementing significant deviations from established guides. You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.


Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e. g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.

Further details
Share this opportunity