Call for expressions of interest: microbiology Twitter teachers for new MOOC
The Spanish Society for Microbiology (SEM), a FEMS Member Society, launched a new initiative using Twitter as a lesson delivery method to teach an entire Massive Online Open Course (MOOC) in General Microbiology in 2016 and 2017. These Twitter-based MOOCs were primarily aimed at a Spanish‐speaking target audience and were conducted in Spanish.
- The results of these two MOOCs have been published in ASM Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education and FEMS Microbiology Letters.
- You can also view all the previous lectures for these MOOCS online.
Following the success of these two MOOCs, SEM is now in the process of launching its first pan-European microbiology MOOC via Twitter in English. Using the Twitter hashtag #EUROmicroMOOC, this MOOC is scheduled to start in September 2018. The MOOC is free.
Call for Twitter teachers
SEM is looking for an enthusiastic pool of Twitter teachers to transform key microbiology topics into bite-size Twitter lectures for this MOOC. Your participation as a teacher is a voluntary contribution to promote public engagement with microbiology, as well as being an excellent professional development opportunity to get involved in modern science communication.
The ideal Twitter teacher should:
- have some previous experience in using Twitter as a science communication tool
- enjoy transforming microbiology concepts into a headline of 280 characters
- have some good ideas of key and emerging microbiology topics to promote and teach over Twitter
Please submit your expression of interest to the online form before the deadline of 30 April 2018.
This should not take any longer than 5 minutes to complete. After the deadline, you will be contacted with further details on the next steps in the process.
For any further information about this MOOC, please email Ignacio López-Goñi (firstname.lastname@example.org).