Chief Biomedical Scientist (Microbiology), UK
Due to the retirement of the existing Microbiology Manager, The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust has an exciting opportunity for a suitably experienced and well-motivated Scientist to lead this busy department.
- an experienced HCPC registered Biomedical Scientist with proven technical experience and a passion for leadership and management of this highly respected service.
- will play a key role in setting the strategy for the service in conjunction with the Head of Department as well as managing the day to day (and out of hours) service of this UKAS accredited service
The department currently processes 270,000 samples per annum including a serology section, which is partly integrated with the Biochemistry department for the use of the Abbott Architect analysers. The laboratory is also equipped with a BacTalert 3D, VITEK 2, Bruker Maldi-tof, IQ 200 automated urine microscopy analyser, Roche COBAS 4800 for CT/NG dual PCR testing, 2 SMART cyclers and VIDAS serology analyser.
In addition to being a skilled scientist, the candidate will:
- provide professional leadership to staff across all specialities of the service, ensuring appropriate supervision and training is in place, and will oversee the risk management and governance of the service.
- need to have extensive experience across a broad spectrum of specialities including molecular, virology, bacteriology and mycology and will be expected to provide professional, technical and managerial leadership across all specialties within the department.
- lead the service ensuring consistency in quality, adhering to local and national guidance, policies and procedures.
- ensure the department offers clinical microbiology services and liaise closely with the infection prevention and control team to support compliance with Trust and National infection control initiatives and targets.
Share this opportunity