Data Scientist as Postdoc - Microbial Bioinformatics: Germany
As a member of the Helmholtz Association, Forschungszentrum Jülich makes an effective contribution to solving major challenges facing society in the fields of information, energy, and bioeconomy. It focuses on varied tasks in the area of research management and utilizes large, often unique, scientific infrastructure. Come and work with around 5,900 colleagues across a range of topics and disciplines at one of Europe’s largest research centres. The successful candidate will work in the research area “Systemic Microbiology” of the Institute of Bio- and Geosciences 1 – Biotechnology (IBG-1) of Forschungszentrum Jülich. The research area “Systemic Microbiology” of IBG-1 performs research in the field of molecular and applied microbiology. Major aims are a systemic molecular understanding of selected microbial cell factories and the development of microbes as biocatalysts for production of industrially or pharmaceutically relevant products from renewable carbon sources using metabolic engineering, synthetic biology and high-throughput screening technologies. We are looking to recruit a Postdoc Microbial Bioinformatics
- integrative analysis of large DNA, RNA, and protein datasets, which are generated using state-of-the-art sequencing techniques (DNA-Seq, RNA-Seq, ChIP-Seq, LC-MS/MS)
- application of machine learning and artificial intelligence
- working with experimentalists to validate and address resulting findings
- support of coworkers in using all kinds of bioinformatics software
- PhD or equivalent in bioinformatics, microbiology, data sciences, genomics, engineering, or related fields
- strong programming skills in at least one scripting language (Python, Perl etc.) and R
- experience in analyzing large-scale biological data sets, NGS data etc. is a strong plus
- strong willingness and ability to cooperate with bench-work researchers
- basic/good understanding of and interest in molecular microbiology
- high motivation to successfully complete scientific projects
- candidates must be kind, efficient and reliable team players
- strong English writing and communication skills
- exciting working environment on an attractive research campus with excellent infrastructure, located between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf and Aachen
- international and interdisciplinary working atmosphere
- a comprehensive further training programme
- flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and private life
- limited for 2 years
- salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD)
Forschungszentrum Jülich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particularly welcomes applications from women.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application, preferably via our online recruitment system on our career site, quoting the reference number 2019-047.
Prof. Dr. Michael Bott
Institute of Bio- and Geosciences
Questions about the vacancy? Contact us by mentioning the reference number 2019-047: career@fz-jülich.de
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.