Doctoral Grant-Applied Microbiology: Belgium
The Faculty of Science of the The University of Antwerp is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy in the Department of Bioscience Engineering for a Doctoral Grant by the University Research Fund (BOF) in the area of Applied Microbiology
The PhD project will be carried out in the Laboratory of Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology led by Prof. Lebeer within the ENdEMIC research group (Environmental Ecology and Applied Microbiology). The PhD project is also built upon the ProCure project.
Project title: Exploring the niche specificity and niche flexibility of lactobacilli
Lactobacilli form the model bacteria of the lab. They are associated with plants, animals and humans (e.g. intestines, vagina, respiratory tract, skin). In this project, fundamental aspects of the niche-flexibility of Lactobacillus species will be explored by comparative genomics, functional genetics and niche-swap experiments.
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of applied microbiology.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
- You contribute to teaching and research in the department of Bioscience Engineering, Faculty of Science/ research group ENdEMIC.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in Bioscience Engineering, Biology, Microbiology, Biomedical Sciences, Biotechnology, Biochemistry or related.
- You can submit outstanding academic results and are willing to apply for external grants.
- Students in the final year of their degree can also apply.
- Foreign candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You show a strong interest in microbiology, molecular biology, and biotechnology. Interest in bio-informatics is a plus, but not required. Depending on the interest and expertise of the PhD candidate, the exact focus of the project will be further refined together at the start of the project.
- a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further two-year period after positive evaluation;
- the start date of scholarship will be October 1st, November 1st or December 1st 2018 or January 1st 2019;
- a gross monthly grant ranging from € 2.324,20 to € 2.469,08;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online until the closing date August 12th 2018 and should include a copy of your CV and a cover letter.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications.
- The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place from August 20th until September 14th 2018.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from email@example.com. For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Sarah Lebeer, Tel: +3232653285, firstname.lastname@example.org.