Doctoral Grant (BOF), Medical Microbiology: Belgium
The Faculty of Medicine and Health Science/Vaccine & Infectious Disease Institute at the University of Antwerp is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy in the Laboratory of Medical Microbiology for a
Doctoral Grant by the University Research Fund (BOF) in the area of Medical Microbiology
In this project, we intend to study the population biology, evolution, and mechanisms of colistin resistance and heteroresistance evolution in common human pathogens Klebsiella pneumoniae and E. coli, both in vitro and in a mouse model of infection and finally in respiratory samples from patients treated with colistin. These studies will utilize (beyond) state-of-the-art techniques including, but not limited to, flow cytometry, cloning, long-read- and single-cell-sequencing and gene-expression analysis.
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of medical microbiology
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You contribute to teaching and research in the department Medical Microbiology, Vaccine & Infectious diseases institute of the faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at University Antwerp.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Bio-engineering, Biomedical sciences, Biology, Pharmaceutical sciences, or equivalent degrees.
- Students in the final year of their degree can also apply.
- You have a strong background and experience in microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry, as well as in bacterial genetics. Basic bioinformatics skills are a plus.
- You can work both independently as well as in an international team.
- You can plan and perform laboratory experiments accurately.
- You have strong analytical thinking skills, an appropriate problem solving attitude, can systematically approach complex issues, can multi-task, and are an excellent planner to meet milestone and deliverable deadlines.
- You are willing to travel abroad for short training periods or to international scientific meetings to present research results.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Foreign candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further two-year period after positive evaluation;
- the start date of the scholarship will be between October 1st 2019 and October 1st2020;
- a gross monthly grant ranging from € 2.373,36 to € 2.516,73;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date August 11th 2019 and should include a copy of your CV and a motivation letter.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place between August 20th and September 12th 2019.
- More information about the online application form can be obtained from email@example.com.
- For questions about the profile and the description of project, please contact Prof. Surbhi Malhotra-Kumar (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp