Fully-Funded Postdoctoral Fellow Position: Genomics of Aquatic Microbial/Microplankton Ecology & Invasion Biology (Canada)
The Heath Research Group at the Great Lakes Institute for Environmental Research (GLIER), University of Windsor is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to lead a project investigating microbial/microplankton community dynamics associated with fresh and marine water environments and their potential for ecological invasiveness. As UV ballast water treatment is an important approach to managing aquatic invasive species, this project will target the genomics and transcriptomics of UV DNA damage and repair mechanisms. The Postdoctoral Fellow will have full access to our Institute’s advanced genomics and transcriptomics infrastructure and work closely with our Industry partner (Trojan UV). GLIER is internationally recognized as a leader in aquatic invasive species (AIS) research, informing national government policies and international shipping agreements.
What are the desired qualifications?
- PhD in biology, molecular biology, limnology, bioinformatics or related field awarded after May 2014
Strong background in molecular biology and genomics
- experience in bioinformatics (especially meta-barcoding, metagenomics and meta-transcriptomics) is essential; an understanding of microbial/microplankton community dynamics is desired
- ability to develop research projects as demonstrated by record of accomplishment
- proficient oral and written communication skills to present and explain technical information, and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment
- most importantly, the successful candidate will have a strong motivation to learn new things, solve problems, participate in fieldwork and pursue research in an interdisciplinary framework
Apply to Dr. Daniel Heath via email with the subject “Postdoc Aquatic & Invasion Ecology.” The full application will include a single PDF file consisting of:
- a cover letter describing your research interested and suitability (maximum two pages)
- a CV, including a list of your publications
- contact details of three professional references
Application deadline: open until filled
Start date: ASAP
Location: Great Lakes Institute for Environmental Research, University of Windsor, Windsor, ON, Canada