Junior Fellow - Multifunctional materials for removal of microorganisms from water: Portugal
INL is seeking a talented and motivated Junior Fellow for a collaborative project in the area of nanotechnology solutions for water quality, whose main responsibility will be to support the Water Quality Research Group at INL to develop its research on new multifunctional materials for removal of microorganisms using adsorption and photocatalytic activity.
Job Role & Key Responsibilities
The successful candidate for this position will work on the development of new multifunctional materials with photocatalytic proprieties for waterborne bacteria removal and biofouling prevention. The candidate is expected to fabricate the different multifunctional materials, characterize and monitor the bacterial adhesion and biofilm formation and will also use photocatalysis to innactivate the microorganisms.
Applicants should meet the following requirements:
- MSc in Nanotechnology/ Biomaterials/ Chemistry or similar
- experience in micro/nanofabrication under clean room conditions
- experience in microbiology (bacteria culture)
- experience in characterization techniques, mainly optical microscopy (including confocal), scanning electron microscopy, atomic force microscopy and contact angle
- experience in nanomaterials synthesis and photocatalysis will be positively evaluated
- strong drive to carry out research in the proposed topic
- solid motivation to work both independently and as part of a team in an interdisciplinary project
- good track record of disseminating research results
English is the working language of INL. Therefore, excellent communication skills in English are required.
What we offer
- employment contract and competitive compensation package
- employees will also benefit of the various social facilities available at INL
- international and highly competitive environment in contact with leading edge technology