Microbiology laboratory analyst, Thames Water, United Kingdom
What is the purpose of the role?
In short, ensure the company is providing wholesome drinking water to our 15 million customers. The Microbiology Analyst’s role involves analysis of samples in a fast turnaround environment. The department’s principle analyses include tests for indicator organisms e.g. E.coli / coliforms, ACC’s and membrane filtration e.g. enterococci and Cl. perfringens. However, the department also carry out a variety of other analysis such as taste & odour, Cryptosporidium & Giardia testing as well as the analysis of raw waters for algae and other biological quality indicators.
What makes this role unique?
- Testing over 2 million samples a year and providing the highest quality drinking water to the Thames Water region.
- This role really puts you at the heart of the business as you join a team dedicated to providing excellent customer service.
- The labs are a key part of the business which allows to monitor that drinking water is safe and clean and that waste product is treated in the correct way. Not only do these labs analyse samples from customers’ homes but also from abstraction, through sites and into supply.
What will this role involve?
- On a day to day basis you’re responsible analysing samples within a defined area to meet UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service), Environment Agency and DWI (Drinking Water Inspectorate) standards and relevant H&S HSE (Health and Safety Executive) standards.
- Producing, recording, maintaining and verifying data within a highly regulated UKAS accredited Laboratory.
- This will involve running a variety of automated and manual Lab techniques, relevant to the water industry.
- Carrying out basic maintenance of this equipment. Working in a highly regulated environment giving an excellent customer service to everyone you meet.
- Working with quality management systems to ISO 17025 and automated data handling.
- As part of the team you will be required to work in a weekend rota inc. some bank holidays) and a standby rota.
What Thames Water is looking for?
- You will need an A level in a science discipline and a grade B in GCSE Maths (or equivalent).
- For this role you’ll need to be able to follow strict instructions and guidelines.
- You will be a self-motivated perfectionist and thrive on delivering exceptional results.
- You will be comfortable in carrying out routine tests and analysis.
- This role would suit someone who is comfortable with repetitive work but has a real passion for working in a lab.
- You will be constantly looking for ways to improve both yourself and processes, and will be comfortable in putting your ideas forward.
- You’ll have the customer at the heart of everything you do and will value being part of a team who deliver exceptional customer service.
Share this opportunity