PhD Candidate in Microbiology: Netherlands
As an enthusiastic and talented PhD Candidate with a strong interest in microbiology, specifically in the interactions of microorganisms with a host and the environment, you are going to work on the following project: Detoxifying Symbiosis in Pest Insects.
Insects live in symbiosis with microorganisms where the latter serve a multitude of functions such as aiding in digestion, supplementation of essential vitamins or amino acids, or the defence against pathogens. At the Microbiology department at Radboud University, we study insect-microbe symbioses with a focus on functional characterisation of the gut microbiome. In this project, you will investigate the symbiosis between a pest insect and its gut microbiome, revealing whether microorganisms are involved in the detoxification of pesticides. We furthermore aim to elucidate microbial breakdown pathways of pesticides. This work might lead to the elucidation of targets for new pest control strategies.
Relevant literature: van den Bosch & Welte (2017) Microb Biotechnol 10: 531-40 ; Welte et al. (2016) Environ Microbiol 18: 1379-90.
- an MSc degree in life sciences (biology, microbiology, biotechnology or related areas) with a focus on microbiology;
- proficiency in spoken and written English
- good communication skills
- knowledge of microbiological methods is essential
- knowledge of analytical techniques (LC/GC-MS) and protein biochemistry is an advantage
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- employment: 1.0 FTE
- a maximum gross monthly salary of € 2,972 based on a 38-hour working week
- the gross starting salary amounts to €2,325 per month, and will increase to €2,972 in the fourth year
- in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- duration of the contract: 4 years
- your performance will be evaluated after 18 months. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years
- you will be classified as a PhD Candidate (promovendus) in the Dutch university job-ranking system (UFO)
- you will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service where our Dual Career Officer will assist with family related support, such as child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation