PhD/PostDoc Position in Bioinformatics, Systems Biology, Computer Science, Microbiology: Germany
The Cluster of Excellence Balance of the Microverse invites applications for a Doctoral or Postdoctoral Researcher Position (Ref. No. 06/2020) to conduct research in the group of Prof. Stefan Schuster on the project “Modelling and computer simulation of multipartite lung microbiome systems”
The Cluster of Excellence “Balance of the Microverse” of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Germany, combines expertise in life, material, optical and computational sciences to elevate microbiome studies from descriptive to hypothesis-driven and functional analyses. Our core mission is to elucidate fundamental principles of the interactions and functions in microbial communities in diverse habitats ranging from oceans and groundwater to plant and human hosts. We aim to identify the shared characteristics of disturbed or polluted ecosystems as well as infectious diseases on the microbiome level, and develop strategies for their remediation by targeted interventions. Our full spectrum of expertise in the physical and life sciences will be leveraged to address these important issues in natural habitats as well as synthetic arenas in a collaborative manner. The affiliated early career program of the Jena School for Microbial Communication (JSMC) offers an ambitious, structured and interdisciplinary post-graduate training based on top-level fundamental research.
- A MSc or Ph.D. (or equivalent) in Bioinformatics, Systems Biology, Computer Science, Microbiology, Theoretical Ecology or related disciplines. Candidates in the final stages of obtaining their doctorate are also eligible to apply
- Desirable methodological skills: Mathematical modelling of biological systems, basics in computer programming, cooperation with experimentalists.
- Highly motivated individuals with an interest in joining one of the interdisciplinary research areas of the Microverse Cluster
- The ability to work creatively and independently towards developing your own research project
- An integrative and cooperative personality with enthusiasm for actively participating in the dynamic Microverse community
- English communication skills, both written and spoken
- A highly communicative atmosphere within an energetic scientific network providing top-level research facilities
- A comprehensive mentoring program and soft skill courses for early career researchers
- Jena – City of Science: a young and lively town with a vibrant local cultural agenda
The full-time two year postdoctoral researcher position (100% TV-L E13) or three and a half year doctoral researcher (65% TV-L E13) will be funded through the Excellence Strategy of the German federal and state governments. The Friedrich Schiller University Jena is an equal opportunity employer and part-time contracts can be discussed. Disabled persons with comparable qualifications will receive preferential status.
Applications are exclusively accepted via the JSMC Online Application Portal
Please familiarize yourself with the currently available projects and the application process as described in the Online Application Portal. Selected applicants will be invited to an online recruitment meeting taking place in December. Awarding decisions will be announced shortly thereafter, and candidates are expected to be available to start their projects in early 2021.
Application deadline: 3rd December 2020