Post-doctoral assistant - Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics: Belgium
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- at least 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research in line with the research activities of the Department Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics
- you will assist in teaching activities at Bachelor’s or Master’s level, more specifically you will help implementing new teaching methods (active learning) in the following programs: Bachelor and Master of Science in Biochemistry and Biotechnology (majors Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics and Systems Biology), Subsequent Master in Plant Biotechnology and Master of Science in Bioinformatics
- you will be involved in reading and evaluating reports of Integrated Practicums (Ba2, Ba3) Bachelor’s projects (Ba3), Master’s projects (Ma1) and Master’s dissertations (Ma2) from students of the Bachelor and Master of Science in Biochemistry and Biotechnology (majors Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics and Systems Biology), Subsequent Master in Plant Biotechnology and Master of Science in Bioinformatics
- you will assist in internal and external services of the Department Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics
- you will counsel Master’s students in their exercises, work placement and Master’s dissertation
- you will counsel doctoral students
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- you hold a doctoral degree preferably in sciences: biotechnology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, informatics or biology or a doctoral degree in applied biological sciences or a doctoral degree in engineering, or a subject considered relevant by the selection committee
- for diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted, the degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment
- you have experience in fields linked to research activities of the department
- you have distinguished yourself as a promising researcher during your doctorate
- you are profoundly interested in coaching students in the Bachelor’s, Master’s and/or Advanced Master’s programmes
- you can present relevant scientific publications in (inter)national peer-reviewed academic journals that are widely disseminated
- you are fluent in written and spoken Dutch and English
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
We offer you a 3 year appointment. This appointment starts on 1 March 2019 at the earliest and ends 28 February 2022 at the latest. The appointment may be renewed once, on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation. The term of renewal begins immediately after the first term has expired. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a post-doctoral assistant at a university within the Flemish Community, you cannot apply for this position.
Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP5. More information about our salary scales.
All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Yves Van de Peer (yves.vandepeer@UGent.be, +32 9 331 38 07).