Post Doctoral Fellowship, Molecular and Cellular Microbiology, Virology, Biochemistry, University of Calgary, Canada
The Department of Ecosystem and Public Health in the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Calgary is accepting applications for a Postdoctoral Scholar in Dr. Dongyan Niu’s Laboratory.
- An outstanding postdoctoral scholar to deliver an interdisciplinary research and develop their leadership potential in one of the following directions
- studying the molecular mechanism underlying the persistence and transmission of zoonotic pathogens in the food supply chain;
- precision food safety using “omics technologies”;
- developing innovative technologies for the biocontrol and detection of zoonotic hazards; 4) understanding interaction between bacteriophages, bacteria and their mammalian host.
- The successful candidate is encouraged to integrate multiple disciplines and create own ideas in solving the scientific puzzles.
The specific job duties include:
- Involve in project management and development;
- Assist laboratory set-up and maintenance (e.g. bacteria/phage library updating);
- Develop experimental protocols/methods/new techniques;
- Initiate and assist technically in the running and overseeing of specific research projects including grant writing and collaborations;
- Collecting and analyzing data using computer-modeling techniques for publications;
- Dissemination of results through peer-reviewed publications, project reports and conference presentations;
- Supervise and train laboratory technicians/undergraduate and graduate students.
- Applicants must possess a PhD degree or equivalent degree in a relevant subject (e.g., microbiology, molecular biology, structural biology, biochemistry, biomedical engineering, immunology, food safety, veterinary medicine, and biostatistics).
- A combination of the following laboratory skills would be beneficial: experience in microbiology, microscopy, molecular biology (DNA, RNA, and Protein), genomics, tissue culture, cell biology or animal models.
- A candidate with excellent track record and motivation to identify and solve scientific problems with creative approaches will be preferred.
- The successful candidate will be required to work within a team environment, so excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a diverse group of interdisciplinary researchers is a must.
- Ability to initiate and develop original scientific research projects.
Duration: One Year (with the potential for extension based on a performance review after the first year)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Interested candidates should send a single-page cover letter, a curriculum vitae, academic transcripts, statement of research interest and career goals, as well as a list of three references contacts to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and only short-listed candidates will be contacted for more information and invited to interview. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.