Postdoc in Bacterial genetics / Microbiology: Poland
Two post-doc positions are available in the Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Warsaw, Poland. We are looking for a highly motivated candidate who would like to join a research group working under the supervision of prof. dr hab. Grazyna Jagura-Burdzy in the project Topology of Pseudomonas aeruginosa chromosome. The role of partitioning protein ParB funded by Polish National Science Centre.
We postulate that chromosomally encoded partitioning protein ParB may influence gene expression either directly through binding to promoter regions or interactions with other regulatory proteins or through introducing topological constrains in the genome. Using ChIP-seq we recently have discovered that ParB may bind to more than 1000 specific short sequences (half-parSs) with only a fraction of those located in promoter regions of ParB-dependent genes (Kawalek et al., 2018, NAR doi: 10.1093/nar/gky257). We want to investigate the role of ParB binding to numerous sites in topology of bacterial genome using our collection of parB and parS mutants, construction of new mutants deprived of chosen sets of half-parS sites and applying the newest high-throughput technologies Hi-C and ChIA-PET. Our long term goal is to understand the co-regulation of chromosome compaction, segregation and gene regulation and the role of ParB in this process.
Profile of candidate/requirements:
1. The successful candidate has to hold a PhD degree in a relevant discipline (biology/ biochemistry/ biotechnology) received in less than 7 years before the starting date
2. Strong background in molecular biology, bioinformatics, bacterial genetics is required. Experience in work on Pseudomonas will be also an advantage
3. Ability to analyze NGS required, any experience with planned new technologies (Hi-C, ChIA-PET) desirable
4. Devotion for science, creativity, previous successes in experimental laboratory work, good publication record (original papers in journals from the Journal Citation Report list)
5. Ability to work independently as well as in a team. Good communication and organization skills.
6. Fluent English
1. CV including scientific achievements, short description of research project(s) conducted so far, list of known/used methods by the applicant, any other relevant information (prizes, honors, IT skills, organization of scientific meetings, experience in supervision of students/teaching).
2. Copy of PhD diploma or any other document which confirms PhD promotion.
3. List of publications, if applicable. Contact information for at least one professional reference.
4. Reference letter(s), motivation letter – summary and relevance of your current research and why you are interested in the position (maximum 1 page).
5. All documents (written in English or Polish) should be merged into one pdf file and send to: email@example.com
Selection process: Application deadline is 31-01-2019. Applications submitted after the deadline will be still considered if positions are not filed. Selected candidates will be invited for interview.
Please include in your offer: I hereby give my consent for the processing of my personal data by the Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics PAS with its seat in Warsaw Pawińskiego 5a, 02-106 hereinafter referred to as the Institute for the purpose of the recruitment process and for future recruitment processes conducted by the Institute under Art. 23 ust 1 pkt 1 of the Personal Data Protection Act dated on 29 August 1997, consolidated text: Journal of Laws 2016, item 922 with further amendments and under Art. 6 ust.1 lit. a of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such GDPR (Dz. U. UE. L. z 2016 r. Nr 119.)