Postdoc in Microbial biosynthesis: Denmark
The Department of Engineering, Aarhus University, invites applicants for a fully funded two-year postdoc position offering applicants an exciting opportunity to join a new research project on identifying bioactive natural products from microorganisms. The position is available from 1st of January 2019 or as soon as possible hereafter.
You are expected to lead a project focused on identifying microbial producers of new pharmaceutically-relevant natural products. The project aims to continuously monitor growing colonies using imaging and develop a protocol identifying the microbes with the highest potential for production of secondary metabolites. The project will interface with already running projects on isolation of environmental bacteria, screening for bioactivity, and isolation and characterization of secondary metabolites. Mentoring of younger students and gaining teaching experience is also an option.
The Ideal Candidate
- holds a PhD in microbiology, biotechnology, natural product chemistry, or similar.
- has demonstrated independent and creative work during their PhD.
- has documented experience with a broad range of microorganisms and has considerable technical flair.
- has good communications skills and speaks fluent English.
In addition, the following skills are not mandatory, but will be considered an advantage:
- experience with programming, bioinformatics, or macroscopic imaging/photography.
- screening for antimicrobial activity
- experience with isolating (chromatography) and characterizing natural products (MS, NMR, etc.)