Postdoc in Yeast Quantitative Physiology and Biotechnology: Denmark
DTU Bioengineering at the Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as Postdoctoral researcher in yeast quantitative physiology and biotechnology. This position will be placed at DTU Bioengineering, section of Synthetic Biology working with gene and genome editing, synthetic biology, regulation engineering, protein production, expression and discovery of bioactive compounds across cell factories, in particular yeast, filamentous fungi, plant and mammalian cells. The section has a total staff of approx. 35, of which 7 is faculty.
Responsibilities and Tasks
You will work on a project involving the design and further physiological characterization of yeast cell factories (mainly Saccharomyces cerevisiae, but with a potential expansion to other non-conventional yeast hosts) for the efficient and cost effective production of recombinant proteins with potential industrial and/or therapeutic applications, and the development of novel high-throughput methodologies for speeding up the design, engineering and screening of superior production hosts.
In this project you will:
- establish a set of versatile molecular tools for fast and high-throughput cloning of simultaneous genetic targets
- perform an “in depth” physiological characterization, screening and further optimization of the target strains by using highly instrumented lab-scale bioreactors combined with a range of -omics analyses and bioinformatic tools
- actively participate in supervision of bachelor and master student projects carried out at the section of synthetic biology
Candidates should have a PhD degree in biology, biotechnology or a similar degree with an equivalent academic level.
We are looking for a candidate with the following background:
- microbial physiology and molecular biology of yeast (previous experience with non-conventional yeast is a plus)
- state-of-the-art molecular cloning techniques applied to metabolic engineering and strain design
- quantitative fungal physiology and fermentation technology
- microbial stress responses
- a proven solid research experience at international level and a strong publication record in indexed international research journals
We expect that you are an efficient team worker, have good communication skills, and have a critical approach to formulation and testing of hypotheses. Also, a good sense of humor will be appreciated.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and Appointment Terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union. The period of employment is 2 years.
Expecting starting date 1st of March 2019, or as soon as possible thereafter.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here. http://www.dtu.dk/english/about/job-and-career/working-at-dtu/career-paths
Further information may be obtained from Assistant Professor and Head of DTU Fermentation core José Luis Martínez Ruiz, email@example.com or +45 45 25 26 30.
You can read more about DTU Bioengineering at http://www.bioengineering.dtu.dk. http://www.bioengineering.dtu.dk/