Postdoc positions in Microbial Dark Matter: Denmark
At the Faculty of Engineering and Science at Aalborg University, Denmark, two postdoctoral positions in Microbial Dark Matter in Technical Systems are open for appointment from 1 July 2018 for 3 years.
The Department of Chemistry and Bioscience consists of five sections of which three are situated in Aalborg with research and teaching in Biotechnology, Applied Chemistry and Biology & Environmental Science, one in Copenhagen on Sustainable Biotechnology and one in Esbjerg on Chemical Engineering. The position is located within the section of Biotechnology with working place in Aalborg.
- The research is a part of the project “Illumination of Microbial Dark Matter“ funded by the Villum Foundation.
- In our ongoing world-wide investigations of microbial communities in wastewater treatment systems and anaerobic digesters, we have revealed core communities of few hundred unique novel species (including candidate phyla) about which nothing is known about their physiology, ecology, and their importance for carbon, nitrogen, or phosphorus removal, or for bioenergy production.
- The aim of these projects is to identify these microbes, characterize their ecophysiology, and reveal essential interactions so a comprehensive ecosystem model can be established for informed control of the technical systems. The studies may also include eukaryotes.
- Novel high through-put methods will be developed and applied including full-scale surveys, meta-omics, single cell microbiology (e.g., Raman microspectroscopy) and isotope-based process studies.
- We seek outstanding scientists with a proven research record in studies of microbial communities and with experience in either meta-omics-related work, comparative genomics, metabolic reconstruction, single cell microbiology, or process studies using isotopes.
You may obtain further professional information from Professor Per Halkjær Nielsen, phone +45 2173 5089, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Appointment as Postdoc presupposes scientific qualifications at PhD–level or similar scientific qualifications. The research potential of each applicant will be emphasized in the overall assessment. Appointment as a Postdoc cannot exceed a period of four years in total at Aalborg University.
The application must contain the following:
- A motivated text wherein the reasons for applying, qualifications in relation to the position, and intentions and visions for the position are stated.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Copies of relevant diplomas (Master of Science and PhD). On request you could be asked for an official English translation.
- Scientific qualifications. A complete list of publications must be attached with an indication of the works the applicant wishes to be considered. You may attach up to 5 publications.
- Dissemination qualifications, including participation on committees or boards, participation in organisations and the like.
- Additional qualifications in relation to the position. References/recommendations.
- Personal data.
For further information concerning the application procedure please contact Hanne Skovrider by mail email@example.com or phone (+45) 9940 9631. Information regarding guidelines, ministerial circular in force and procedures can be seen here.