Postdoctoral Appointee - CRISPR-Cas Technology: USA
Sandia National Laboratories is seeking a Postdoctoral Scientist to develop CRISPR-Cas technology in cyanobacteria and apply high throughput functional screens for advanced biofuel production. Are you looking to do innovative and creative research? Do you want to be a member of a high performing team? We are a diverse, interdisciplinary team of scientists and professionals.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Cultivate and genetically modify cyanobacteria;
- Develop genome-wide screening libraries;
- Analyze next-generation sequencing results;
- Perform analytical measurements, including spectroscopy, microscopy, biomass characterization, HPLC, etc.;
- Participate in laboratory management, mentoring student interns, and writing of publications;
- Be part of a dynamic team of professionals that put passion into the work they do.
Qualifications We Require
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or related discipline (e.g., molecular biology, biochemistry);
- Direct, hands-on experience in common molecular biology techniques (PCR, transformation, electrophoresis, DNA/RNA/protein characterization);
- Experience in genetic modification, including DNA construct design and cloning;
- Experience in standard analytical techniques (spectroscopy, microscopy, etc.);
- Proven record of high technical achievement, as evidenced by publication record.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in cyanobacterial or algal cultivation;
- Experience in development or use of CRISPR-Cas technology;
- Experience in analysis of next-gen sequencing data;
- The ability to conduct creative, independent research;
- Experience in milestone-driven research;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Strong work ethic;
- Demonstrated dedication to laboratory safety.
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia’s discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.