Postdoctoral Fellow in Marine Microbiology, Stockholm University, Sweden
Department of Ecology, Environment and Plant Sciences at Stockholm University offers a position of a Postdoctoral Fellow in Marine Microbiology.
The position will be associated with the project on marine planktonic symbioses. Several lineages of marine heterocystous cyanobacteria form partnerships, or symbioses with marine eukaryotic plankton, e.g. diatoms. Draft genomes of the cyanobacterial symbionts have been sequenced and show dramatic differences in size and content dependent on symbiont location (e.g. internally vs. externally associated). Several genes important for heterocyst formation, function and transport of fixed N products have been identified and are of interest (e.g. sebJ, TRAP). The function of these genes are known in a parallel system for nutrient exchange and transfer. Genetic reconstruction assays will be developed for insertion of the putative genes into mutants for identifying functionality in the marine cyanobacterial symbionts. The fitness of the mutants will be quantified with stable isotope assays and a high resolution nanometer scale secondary ion mass spectrometry (nanoSIMS). Field expeditions for sample collections are also a possibility.
The position involves research in developing genetic reconstructions assays for insertion of putative genes into mutants for identifying functionality in the marine cyanobacterial symbionts. Cultivation and maintanence of wild type and mutant strains, implementation of stable isotope experiments and preparing and overseeing samples for nanoSIMS analyses.
- Postdoctoral positions are appointed primarily for purposes of research.
- Applicants are expected to hold a Swedish doctoral degree or an equivalent degree from another country.
- The selected candidate must possess expertise, and knowledge of the genetic reconstruction assays and troubleshooting, preferably from work on filamentous cyanobacteria, in addition to experience in assays for characterization of bacterial transporter activity and cultivation and maintenance of cyanobacteria cultures.
- Previous experience in field expeditions (e.g. ocean going cruises) are also a good qualification but not necessary.
- The degree should have been completed no more than three years before the deadline for applications.
- An older degree may be acceptable under special circumstances, which may involve sick leave, parental leave, clinical attachment, elected positions in trade unions, or similar.
- In the appointment process, special attention will be given to research skills as described in the qualification requirements (e.g. assay development, cultivation, work with cyanobacteria), and publication history.
Terms of employment
The position involves full-time employment for a maximum of two years, with the possibility of extension under special circumstances. Start date 1 June 2018 or as per agreement.
Further information about the position can be obtained from Dr. Rachel A. Foster, telephone: +46 8 16 12 07, email@example.com.