Principal Investigators in Microbiome Research: UK
The Quadram Institute offers a number of Principal Investigator roles within the Quadram Institute’s Gut Microbes and Health research programme to deliver scientific excellence and social and economic impact in microbiome research. We welcome applications from individuals undertaking exciting and innovative microbiome research that will enhance and build on ongoing projects aimed at defining the intercommunication and crosstalk between gut microbes and their host, and how these are first established in early life and are altered in later life, and in diseases affecting the gut and other organ systems. We would particularly welcome those with a focus on microbial ecology, the virome, the mycobiome, microbe-host interactions and their impact on organ systems beyond the gut including the brain, and systems biology and mathematical modelling of gut function.
Senior Principal Investigators, as Research Leaders, will have experience of leading and developing a successful research programme and research teams. They will be able to demonstrate an impressive publication record and have experience of achieving research funding. Early career Principal Investigators will have an excellent postdoctoral track record with the potential to develop and lead a high quality research programme.
Positions come with signiﬁcant research support and administrative support. Tenure is available for senior appointees. We offer an exciting and innovative research environment, competitive salaries (depending on qualifications and experience) and a great place to live – relocation packages are available.
These are key roles within the Quadram Institute and have primary responsibility for building a research group and research programme that can help deliver the Institute Strategic Programmes (ISPs) and in particular, those of the Gut Microbes and Health ISP.
Working collaboratively with colleagues and stakeholders, Principal Investigators will develop and deliver innovative research strategies and programmes focussed on developing solutions to worldwide challenges in human health, food and disease.
- Contribute to the development of research strategies in the Institute
- Initiate the development of research proposals and projects as self-contained items or as part of a broader programme
- Design and implement innovative research methodologies that add to the knowledge and understanding of the discipline.
- Lead and manage independent research projects and supervise the work of extended research teams
- Secure significant research funding in accordance with the expectations of the discipline and level of the role
- Lead and manage research teams including supervising postdoctoral students, and supporting effective career development to help develop the next generation of researchers.
- Take the lead in writing papers for publication in leading academic journals and other relevant media, including being available to provide expert commentary in a variety of media.
- Promote our research and develop business opportunities for the Institute by liaising with and influencing government, industry and other external partners.
- Disseminate research findings and consolidate the Institute’s international reputation through participation in international conference and public engagement activities.
- PhD relevant to the gut and the microbiome
- Established record of independent research, including a history of obtaining significant research funding and effective management of projects
- A strong first/senior author publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- Experience of effectively leading, managing and mentoring research teams, including promoting excellence
- Strong collaboration skills, including the ability to develop productive interactions with researchers within and outside the institute including at other national and international centres.
We are committed to equal opportunities and welcome applications from all sectors of society. The Institute supports equality of opportunity within the workplace and expects all employees to share and display these values. To support our commitment, we have a range of family, faith and diversity friendly working arrangements to help all staff achieve excellence in their area of work.
As a Disability Confident employer, we guarantee to offer an interview to all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for this vacancy.
How to apply
To apply, please upload your CV, covering letter and a one page summary of your research to our jobs portal https://jobs.quadram.ac.uk/ For further information please contact the Human Resources team on 01603 450462 or email@example.com
Applications will be welcomed until all positions are filled. The next application review will take place on 13th July 2018 and monthly thereafter.