Research Associate in Food Microbiology: New Zealand
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced and passionate Research Associate to join the Food & Bio Based products team in Palmerston North, New Zealand and provide analytical support the science delivery of food assurance micro projects.
Specifically, this position will assist in programmes related to the isolation and typing of micro-organisms from environment, food animals and foods by traditional & molecular methods, microbial survival and behaviour along food production and distribution chains, and in vitro and in vivo assessment of virulence of food borne pathogens.
They are looking for someone with specific knowledge in the application of classical and molecular level microbiological techniques and experience with PCR (preferably RealTime) methods.
What you will be doing
- Consistently delivering high quality, relevant research
- Preparing and updating good practise lab guidelines, and SOPs.
- Networking and building relationships with the food industry
- Planning and coordinating detailed phases of work for a total project of moderate scope
- Contributing to high quality research outputs and achievement of project milestones within budgets.
- Supporting post docs and supervising and training technicians, students, casuals visiting researchers.
- Publishing research findings in refereed journals and at scientific conferences.
- Writing reports, product manuals and contributing to securing patents
Your ideal background
- An undergraduate/post graduate qualification plus considerable, relevant post-graduate scientific experience in food microbiology.
- Good understanding of the NZ food industry
- Uses scientific methodologies for all research, including literature searching; hypothesis-based experimental design and statistical analysis; and follows rigorous development and documentation procedures for research protocols. Has an understanding of intellectual property.
- Experience with handling organisms of risk group 2 or higher.