Research Associate in Microbiology : USA
A Research Associate position is currently available in the laboratory of Dr. Mir at the Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, California USA. Mir lab studies the replication and therapeutic intervention of category-A RNA viruses, such as, hantavirus and Crimean Congo hemorrhagic fever virus. The current project is focused to understand the molecular cross talk between viral and host factors that help in the establishment of viral infection in the host cell. Candidates with past experience in molecular and cellular biology (gene cloning, protein expression and purification from bacterial and mammalian systems, mammalian cell culture, imaging, immunoblotting, real time PCR etc) and an interest in RNA viruses will be preferred for this position. The candidates will be required to design and perform experiments, generate, store and analyze the data, write manuscripts and keep the lab up and running.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Detail oriented and accurate with strong analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently on assigned research project.
- Establish and maintain good relations with other staff, faculty and students
- Good computer skills necessary to set up document formats in Word, Excel, and any other software programs required by the position. Skill in using library search engines for research. Skill in using related laboratory supplies and equipment.
- Cell culture and other techniques including Western Blotting, RT-PCR, immunostaining, etc.
Candidates with past experience and knowledge in microbiology, virology, molecular and cellular biology, and hands on experience on the following
a. Gene cloning,
b. protein expression and purification from bacterial and mammalian systems,
c. Mammalian cell culture, imaging, immunoblotting, real time PCR and Western blot analysis
d. Virus propagation
Education: PhD in biology or related discipline.
The ideal candidate should be highly motivated and have strong background in cancer research or tissue cultures, and molecular biology. They should have appropriate years of research experience to support PI in project.
Interested candidates should send their CV mentioning their technical expertise and list of publications to Dr. Mir at firstname.lastname@example.org, and complete this online application. Expertise in virology is required.