Research Associate (PostDoc) in Geo-Bio-Interfaces
The GFZ’s Interface Geochemistry group led by Liane G. Benning is looking for a Research Associate (PostDoc) in Geo-Bio-Interfaces. The holder of this position will work on laboratory-based experiments addressing fungal-mineral interface processes with special focus on assessing rates and mechanisms related to biological weathering.
- conduct plant-microbe-mineral microcosm experiments to derive biotic, mineral specific weathering rates
- quantify molecular-scale interface processes with special applications to nutrient uptake and carbon cycling
- collect, process and interpret complex high-resolution and micro-spectroscopic data from fungal-mineral surface interaction observations
- integrate experimental, theoretical and modelling results
- publish in international peer-reviewed journals; present research results at scientific meetings
- lead and/or considerably contribute to writing proposals for third party funding
- help co-supervise Masters and PhD students
- MSc and PhD with a focus on geobiological processes with specialization in laboratory experiments
- proven expertise in microcosms experiments and analyses, data processing and interpretation of complex carbon and nutrient speciation data sets
- documented, hands on knowledge of light microscopy, SEM/TEM, Raman, μ-FTIR and / or synchrotron based micro-spectroscopic
- proven expertise in working at the interface between geochemistry/mineralogy and microbiology
- documentable excellent publication and 3rd party funding records
- capacity for interdisciplinary and international teamwork and excellent communication skills
- proven experience in supervision of students and/or PhD candidates
- proficiency in spoken and written English, German is an asset
Starting date: 15th May 2018
Fixed term: 3 years (with possibility for extension)
Your application must be in English and include the following components : (a) a maximum 2-page research statement; (b) full CV and publication list and (c) the names of 3 independent referees.
Please submit your application by April 20th, 2018 via the APPLY button on the GFZ webpage.
Share this opportunity