Research Scientist -industrial biotechnology: Norway
The Department of Biotechnology and Nanomedicine at SINTEF Industry is looking for a highly skilled and motivated Research Scientist, with expertise and genuine interest in developing industrial biotechnology applications for the bioeconomy,ideally with R&D experience in this field.
The Dept. of Biotechnology and Nanomedicine consists of the Research groups Biotechnology, Mass Spectrometry, and Polymer Particles and Surface Chemistry and hosts national leading infrastructures for Bioprocess technology, High throughput screening, and mass spectrometry, along with state-of-the-art molecular biology and chemical synthesis labs. With currently more than 60 staff, we perform each year more than 100 projects for industry and public funders in the frame of national and European research programmes.
Research in our Department is carried out at our excellent facilities at SINTEF Industry in Trondheim, Norway, closely integrated with other SINTEF groups and the Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU with which we closely collaborate in numerous research projects at the national and international level.
To better exploit and expand our existing competences, infrastructure, and capacities in the broad spectrum of possible biotechnological applications for the bioeconomy, we wish to expand our team with a researcher who brings in additional, complementary competence and skills. The Researcher is expected to work closely together with other researchers in our team but should also be capable of independently developing and implementing his/her own ideas and strategy how to contribute to SINTEF’s ambitious goals to develop Technology for a better society and further developing SINTEF into a leading R&D partner for the bio-based industry in Europe.
The eligible candidate should:
- Have a PhD in a suitable field, such as industrial biotechnology, microbiology, molecular biology, or bioprocess technology
- Ideally have a broad overview across disciplines and topics like classical microbiology, synthetic biology, strain engineering, microbial ecology and consortia, omics analyses, systems biology, and/or bioinformatics
- Ideally have well-documented expertise in at least one microbial trait (e.g. yeast, fungi, (an)aerobic bacteria, Archaea) of high relevance for bio-based production processes
- Have good written and oral communication skills in English
- Have skills and experience in efficiently publishing research results
- Have skills to acquire new R&D projects and industrial customers
Personally, the candidate should:
- Be highly committed to applied science, strive for excellence
- Be able to work in a team and lead scientific and technical staff in a positive, motivating way
- Be able to develop own smart ideas and think independently
- Be motivated by and able to focus on solving tough scientific Challenges
Skills, knowledge and interest in one or several of the following areas are desirable:
- Metabolic engineering, Synthetic biology
- Genetic tools for relevant microorganisms
- Omics technologies
- Microbial physiology
- Microbial ecology
- Systems Biology
For additional information, please contact Senior researcher Dr. Alexander Wentzel (email@example.com) or Research manager Håvard Sletta (firstname.lastname@example.org)