Research Technician - Microbiology: UK
The Institute of Microbiology and Infection at the University of Birmingham is one of the UK’s foremost centres for infectious disease research.We are currently recruiting for an enthusiastic research technician to join the Host and Pathogen Interactions group within IMI. This is a fixed-term three year post, although there may be the opportunity for successful candidates to extend their role within the Institute at the end of this period, subject to external funding. The successful candidate will be tasked to provide high-quality technical support to an active research group, working in the area of human infectious diseases.Specifically, to undertake in vitro and in vivo (zebrafish) experimentsto determine virulence of human fungal pathogens.
- Laboratory experience in microbiology and/or tissue culture is essential
- Laboratory experience of zebrafish husbandry and infection models is highly desirable
- Willingness to engage closely with colleagues at all levels of seniority within the group in order to deliver high-quality research data to timelines
- Consistently careful and robust approach to health and safety and laboratory operation
- Strong organisational and administrative skills within a laboratory environment
- Ability to work well as member of a team, sometimes to tight deadlines