Researcher for the development of omega-3 based strategies to prevent infectious diseases in aquaculture: Spain
Area: Marine Ecosystems Functioning
Location: Sukarrieta (Basque Country, Spain)
Contract type: Full time
Starting date: January 2022
Contract duration: 1 year
“Red FISHEALTH”: NETWORK OF EXCELLENCE APPLIED TO INNOVATION AND DEVELOPMENT OF SOLUTIONS TO CONTROL INFECTIOUS DISEASES IN AQUACULTURE PRODUCTION
The mission of the FISHEALTH 2021-2023 Strategic Plan is to develop integrated new tools and platforms to prevent, diagnose and treat infectious diseases in aquaculture and strengthen competitiveness in the aquaculture sector, by transferring R+D+i that enables the impact of such diseases on Spanish aquaculture to be reduced.
The person selected will work on a research and technology transfer project to identify bacteria that produce omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids as a potential probiotic in aquaculture.
The job includes traditional microbiology techniques, biotechnology, and environmental genomics applied to the intestinal micro-biome of fish.
Candidates’ functions are independent technical work in the laboratory and data analysis in close coordination with the principal investigator.
What we want from you
AZTI is looking for someone who can form part of a multidisciplinary team with knowledge and experience in the required fields of experience.
PhD in biotechnology, biology, biochemistry, microbiology, aquaculture, or other field related to the position.
Experience in competitive projects related to at least one of the following areas of work:
- Taxonomic community profiles/metabarcoding or similar
- Microbial biotechnology
- Ability to work in a numerical computation setting (R, Python or equivalent), preferably with environmental genomic data (taxonomic community profiles/metabarcoding or similar).
- Previous experience in aquaculture probiotics.
- Experience in analysis of intestinal micro-biome from fish.
- Experience in microbiological work (isolation, bacterial media, etc).
- Experience in molecular biology techniques (extraction of RNA, DNA, PCR, etc).
- Experience in gas chromatography (GC/MS and GC-FID).
- Scientific publications related to the subject matter of the post.
- Scientific papers at national and international conferences, meetings, working groups, etc, on subjects related to the post.
- Previous research career and research grants.
- Experience and contact with national/international working groups.
- Availability to travel (attendance of coordination meetings, working groups, etc.) and driving licence.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Good level of written and spoken English.
Potential candidates should upload the cover letter and CV before 2 November 2021