Researcher/postdoctoral researcher in bioinformatics: Belgium
The Laboratory of Medical Microbiology, Vaccine & Infectious Disease Institute, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy for Researcher/postdoctoral researcher in bioinformatics
- You provide support in Next Generation Sequencing projects (metagenomics and bacterial whole genome sequencing).
- You oversee nucleic acid isolation for and sequencing runs on different sequencing platforms (Illumina, Pacbio, Nanopore).
- You are involved in downstream sequencing data analysis.
- You interact with technicians, PhD students and senior researchers.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a Master’s or Doctoral degree (PhD) in bioinformatics; preferentially with a background in (micro)biology.
- You have experience in handling Next Generation Sequencing data.
- You have basic knowledge in microbiology.
- Molecular biology skills are an added advantage.
- You have good knowledge in assembly tools (Velvet, SPAdes, and HGAP).
- You have knowledge in the LINUX and UNIX environment.
- You have basic scripting knowledge in PERL and R.
- You have excellent knowledge of English.
- You are used to working in a multi-disciplinary context.
- You can work independently and take up responsibility.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- a position rewarded as a researcher/postdoc researcher for a period of initially 1 year with the possibility of extension after positive evaluation;
- the date of appointment will be as soon as possible;
- a full time gross monthly salary based on your profile and years of relevant experience;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications with letter of interest and curriculum vitae including names of 2-3 reference persons can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org), until the closing date of 20 February 2019.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Surbhi Malhotra-Kumar, email@example.com.