Senior Food Microbiologist: Saint Helena (SH)
A sub-tropical island of spectacular and beautiful landscapes in the South Atlantic with a warm and friendly population of 4,500, St Helena is a self-governing overseas territory of the UK. With the opening of a new international airport last year there is now a weekly scheduled flight from Johannesburg.
Our laboratory services offer an extensive range of essential diagnostic tests across Blood Sciences, Microbiology and Serology, and a Food & Water Laboratory which is an ISO/IEC 17025:2017 accredited facility, essential for the continued export of fish to the EU.
- you will carry out testing relating to Food and Water Microbiology within the scope of ISO 17025 accreditation, training staff in all methodology and aspects of the accreditation procedures and assist in the preparation for annual assessment, rectifying anomalies/non-conformances highlighted by the assessors
- alongside the Laboratory Manager you will ensure facilities meet the required standards to maintain accreditation, providing ‘on the bench’ training in all aspects of food and water microbiology
- you will validate additional ‘in-house’ methodology for acceptable accreditation purposes and provide staff with on-going training in validation of in-use methodology
- you must advise the Senior EHO on food surveillance programme strategies and appropriate food sampling plan in respect of the microbiological safety of food
- you will also liaise with external bodies such as UKAS and PHE on accreditation, external quality assurance, testing methods and protocols
Qualified in Food Microbiology, you will have worked in an accredited food and water laboratory and be adept at report writing. Having bench experience of food and water examination in a public health environment, you should have a clear understanding of the related micro-organisms. With knowledge and first-hand experience of laboratory accreditation, using ISO 17025:2017 as the benchmark standard, you understand COSHH and have experience of training staff in methodology and validation and in calibration of laboratory equipment, including autoclaves, incubators and fridges.
We offer an extensive benefits package with 30 days leave pa, fare paid travel, freight, pension contribution and relocation allowance (see overseas vacancy information).
An application form can be found at www.sthelenacareers.com where further information can also be found, or you may contact Kedell Worboys on 0203 818 7610 or email: email@example.com.
This is where applications must be sent and received by 10 December 2018. Interviews will be held in London.