Unit Head (M/F/I)
Founded in 1891, the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) is one of the world’s oldest biomedical re-search institutions. Today, the RKI is Germany’s national public health institute. It employs more than 1,150 people, provides excellent research infrastructure and pursues a modern approach to its scientific work.
We are offering the following position in Unit ZBS 2 “Highly Pathogenic Microorganisms” of Department ZBS “Centre for Biological Threats and Special Pathogens” from 1st May 2020 for a
Unit Head (M/F/I)
(depending on qualifications and experience up to salary grade B 1 Federal Civil Servants Salary Act [BBesG])
This is a permanent position.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Managing Unit ZBS 2 “Highly Pathogenic Microorganisms” including responsibility for staff and budgets
- Diagnosis and characterisation of bacterial pathogens up to Risk Group 3 including resistance screening (incl. B. anthracis, F. tularensis subsp. tularensis, Y. pestis, B. mallei and pseudomallei)
- Operating Security Level 2 and 3 laboratories
- Quality management and obtaining accreditations (e.g. according to DIN EN ISO 15189 and DIN EN ISO 17025)
- Assisting with development of concepts for combating and preventing infection with highly pathogenic bacteria
- Research in the field of highly pathogenic bacteria, e.g. epidemiology, pathogenesis, genetics, tenacity, disinfection/decontamination and prevention
- Working on national and international bodies and in research cooperations in the field of biological safety and prevention and combat of infection by highly pathogenic bacteria
- Willingness to apply as a consultant laboratory for selected highly pathogenic bacteria
Requirements and qualifications:
- University graduate in Biosciences or Medicine/Veterinary Medicine (Master’s, State Exami-nation or university diploma)
- Doctorate in a field of bioscience
- Qualification as natural scientist certified for medical microbiology [DGHM/BÄMI] or medi-cal/veterinary doctor specialized in microbiology desirable
- Postdoctoral qualification an advantage (e. g. Habilitation)
- Several years of demonstrated professional experience in diagnostic and experimental bacteriology
- Several years of professional experience in working with highly pathogenic bacteria (Risk Group 3) desirable
- Several years of professional experience in quality management desirable
- Several years of professional experience in managing scientific work groups or units desirable
- Several years of experience in working on national and international bodies desirable
- Proven success at obtaining external funding desirable
- Languages (CEFR level): German and English at least C1 (advanced)
- Prepared to undergo advanced security check in accordance with Section 9 of the Security Clearance Check Act [Sicherheitsüberprüfungsgesetz, SÜG]
You are a self-starter and handle challenges that arise independently, including developing concepts in which you incorporate established and new knowledge and/or redefined objectives in existing frameworks. Your work flows and measures are objective-driven. You design plans for resources and implementation and establish work processes that promote cooperation within a team. To achieve your objectives you also cooperate with other teams and disciplines as necessary. You share the successes achieved with those who have taken part in it. You accept constructive feedback and use it to improve your own performance, at the same time you give regular and prompt feedback about the fulfilment of tasks in the form of respectful and constructive criticism. You are also capable of recognizing relevant gender issues and acting with a focus on equality.
As a manager you encourage the independence of your colleagues and their cooperation, place great value on their further development, and understand how to motivate them to achieve objectives and tasks. In addition, you have a broad and effective range of conflict resolution skills.
Depending on qualifications and experience, the candidate who meets the professional re-quirements could be appointed as a civil servant at up to salary grade B 1, or else employed at up to remuneration for group E 15 of the public sector wage scale [TVöD].
For more information, please contact:
Prof. Dr. Lars Schaade
Tel.: +49 30 18754 2010
The RKI is located in Berlin – Germany’s vibrant, multicultural capital in the heart of Europe. The Institute’s facilities are set in the environment of a clean, green city that is home to first class art, historical and science museums and well-known theatres. Public transit links to other districts and the surrounding countryside are excellent.
The RKI offers flexible work hours and terms of employment that promote in as far as possible employee life-work balance. Education and training are also provided based on employee needs. The RKI also has a comprehensive health maintenance program and assists incoming staff members and their families in settling in their new location.
The RKI is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
Submit your application via the public service job portal Interamt at www.interamt.de by November 30th, 2019.
Please note the position identification number: 541449 (StellenID)/Kz. 110/19
If you have questions about the application procedure, please contact
Tel.: +49 30 18754 2655
To learn more about the RKI please visit the institute’s website at www.rki.de
Please note that in single cases the Federal Ministry of Health may access your application documents to ensure appropriate personnel selection within its scope as supervisory authority. Your data will be deleted immediately after the completion of the application process.