University Assistant/postdoctoral position in microbiology: Austria
The University of Vienna seeks to fill the position of a University Assistant (post doc) at the The Comammox Research Platform. The University of Vienna will establish a new research platform to investigate the physiology, structural biology, biochemistry, and ecology of nitrifying microorganisms with focus on complete ammonia oxidizers (comammox organisms). The platform has two open PostDoc positions for scientists with a PhD possessing strong expertise in these fields. The duration of employment for each position is 3 years.
Active participation in research, teaching and administration:
- Involvement in research projects
- International publications and presentations
- Involvement in project applications of third-party funding
- Independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Supervision of students
- Doctoral or PhD degree (Biology, Molecular Biology, Structural Biology, Biochemistry, Geochemistry, Chemistry, or similar)
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- High ability to express yourself both orally and in writing
- Documented publication activity in peer-reviewed journals
- Good team-working ability
- Communication skills, organizational ability, and capacity to interact with other researchers
- Experience in working on research projects
- Publications in international scientific journals
- International presentation experience
- Excellent knowledge in the area of nitrification microbiology or structural biology
Methodological Competences (one or more of the following)
- Practical experience in isotope labelling of microbial cultures and soil samples
- excellent understanding of isotope ratio mass spectrometry
- practical experience in isotope analysis of soluble and gaseous nitrogen compounds
- Practical experience in molecular biology, protein expression in prokaryotic and eukaryotic expression systems, purification, crystallization with robotics and macromolecular crystallography. Expertise in common crystallographic software such as CCP4, XDS, PHENIX.
- Hands-on experience with biophysical techniques and complementary structural biology methods (in particular DFS, SAXS, XL-MS, ITC, DLS, SLS) will be considered an advantage.
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna no later than 9 May 2018 mentioning reference number 8505.
- Letter of motivation
- Academic curriculum vitae
- List of publications, a list of courses and a list of talks given
- Contact details of at least 2 persons who could provide a letter of reference