The Department of Animal- and Aquacultural Sciences (IHA), Faculty of Biosciences, at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) is inviting applications for a 6-year tenure track position within functional genomics in aqua- and agri- research. The successful candidate will join CIGENE, a multidisciplinary genome biology research group possessing expertise in genetics, evolutionary and comparative genomics, bioinformatics and systems biology. Located within the Department of Animal- and Aquacultural Sciences, this group includes 2 full-time professors, 1 associate professor, 11 researchers, 8 PhD students and 9 research technicians. CIGENE has a strong aqua- and agri- research profile, with key strengths in the application of ‘omics’ data to understand the genetic architecture of complex traits. The group wishes to use functional genomics technologies, including gene editing, to better understand the biology underlying specific genotype-phenotype associations. CIGENE has excellent wet and dry lab facilities for automated high-throughput omics, and bioinformatics.
- the person appointed will be offered the opportunity to qualify for a permanent position as Associate Professor or Professor within functional genomics
- the faculty and the department are committed to facilitate the development of competence within teaching, research, dissemination and innovation for the successful applicant
- the selected candidate will take a central role in innovating and expanding CIGENEs research portfolio within functional genomics and genome biology, including gene editing technologies (e.g.CRISPR-cas9) to better understand genotype-phenotype associations in aquaculture and agriculture
- the position holder is expected to develop a strong research team of scientists and students by acquiring external grant funding
- the successful candidate will also participate actively in teaching functional genomics and genome biology at the Faculty of Biosciences. This includes developing and teaching courses at the bachelor and master level, and supervision of MSc and PhD students
- administrative duties at the department, faculty and university level are also part of the position
Qualifications and competence
Required qualifications and competence:
- PhD degree in functional genomics, molecular biology, cell biology, or similar obtained within the last 5 years, allowing for any parental leaves.
- strong record of peer-reviewed publication and independent research in functional genomics, molecular biology, cell biology or related areas of research
- comprehensive lab experience within modern functional genomics, molecular biology, cell culture and cell biology techniques
- excellent communication skills both to the scientific community and to a broader audience.
- if the appointee is not fluent in a Scandinavian language, they will expected to participate in a formal language-training course and, within a two-year period, to learn sufficient Norwegian to be able to participate actively in all functions the position may involve
- a successful candidate must have formal pedagogical training or must complete the NMBU pedagogy course within two years of appointment
Desired qualifications and competence:
- experience writing successful grant applications
- teaching experience at the university level, and a track record showing the successful supervision of postgraduate students
- practical experience with CRISPR-Cas9 or other gene editing approaches
- practical experience with functional genomic techniques (ATAC-Seq, CHIP-Seq, Hi-C etc) and analysis and interpretation
- familiarity with at least one programming language (R, python, perl, etc.)
- experience in analyzing and interpreting high-throughput ‘omics’ data (e.g. genomics/transcriptomics/epigenomics data)
- proven record in establishing and managing research projects
A successful candidate without formal pedagogical training must complete the NMBU pedagogy course within two years after appointment.
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- outstanding collaborative and communicative skills
- strong, professional commitment to excellence in teaching
- ability to realize scientific synergies between individual researchers and research groups
- strong potential for independent thinking displaying initiative and careful creative thought
- experience with building and maintaining a productive, energized and happy research group
- analytical and academic approach to research questions
For further information, please see Guidelines; Tenure-Track Appointments or contact group leader prof. Sigbjørn Lien (firstname.lastname@example.org), phone +47 91353715 or Head of Department, Elise Norberg (email@example.com) +47 47682710.